Tender / Dinghy

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Fish Catcher, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Fish Catcher

Fish Catcher Junior Member

I am looking for something that can be used for the basic job of a tender But my biggest need is for fishing.
    The boat we are looking to purchase in the near future can accomodate up to a 15 foot boat and has a davit at 1000 lbs.
    Now there will be 2 people in it fishing most of the time and in both salt and fresh water. I am looking for the biggest or
    deepest and lightest I can get with room to move around and a bow able to handle mounting a trolling motor on it
    and able to mount rod holders and a couple of battery box's and maybe even a larger fuel tank.

I have looked at whalers and carolina skiffs but they run so heavy and not sure about the inside free board being deep enough
    for the other fishing person. Now I have been told ribs and similar boats work well for fishing but imo I dont think I want to mess with them.
    I thought about a deep V or semi or modified v fiberglass but so far all have lower sides and again I want others to feel more safe.

So I know that smaller aluminum boats do not fair well in salt water, but what is fair well anyway? 1 year or 5 years? I mean what about a lot of bottom paint and fresh water wash downs after each use ? I bring up aluminum simply because they run lighter for the size and tend to have a deeper fit. So I am open to any suggestions and as far as HP goes it all depends on the boat but not looking to go much bigger then say 30 horse.
    Thank You and have a great week end
    jim

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Aluminum boats, if they are built of the correct alloy, last for many years. Any of the reputable brands should work OK. If you have 1000lb davits, it will accommodate a heavy duty boat. If fancy finish is not an issue, there are commercial aluminum boats that will last a lifetime.

3. Fish Catcher

Gonzo Thanks,
    What would these commercial aluminum boats be?
    Jim

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

5. Fish Catcher

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.