Bertram 20 remod question???

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Outcast, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Outcast

Outcast New Member

I am looking for some info from someone that has some qualified answers to my weight distribution questions for a redo on a 20 Bertram:

Here is what I have done

Removed V-8 and outdrive approx 840lbs

Adding bracket and 225 4 stroke approx 520lbs motor and 185lbs bracket (keep in mid that the bracket is a positive flotation bracket that allows 250 lbs flotation)

Moved batteries to front (100lbs)

enlarged fuel tank from 50 to 85 gal and moved 2 feet forward

added 12 gal fresh water tank forward of fuel tank

ANy ideas or thoughts will help

Kurt

2. jsh

jsh Junior Member

Kurt:

The weight distribution is managed with the weight estimate, measured in ft-lbs,based on a common origin. When you know the position of the center of gravity for and aft (LCG) you can compare it to the center of buoyancy and get a feel for your static trim.

Determining the center of buoyancy requires the designers knowledge or you must measure the hull and do some calculations. There is a method described in Dave Gerrs Propeller Handbook.

Once displacement , center of buoyancy, and longitudinal center of gravity are known then you can quantify your changes.

I am working on an inboard conversion to a stretched version of the bertram 20.They were built on license here in the 70's someone splashed the original and stretched the 20 to 22 and the 25 to 28.
    john

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.