Bentley 2007 Pontoon Problems

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by pademarco, Aug 2, 2007.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Haven't a clue why I keep reading this thread - don't know what the hell your talking about!

Where I ome from pontoons is like rafts that you tie your boat up to - Bentleys are rather posh motor cars akin to a Rolls Royce -some thing not right here at all -unless it's a gigantic scam!

2. Shortsam

Shortsam New Member

I bought a Bentley for my husband as a gift in Tennessee. We have property there with a marina that we could dock it at. We flew in (from Florida) and the boat dealer brought it to us and put it in the water. We spent a wonderful two days on it then kissed it good buy and flew home. My husband had to fly north and drive back with some equipment and stopped to check out the boat, lucky he did as another couple of days and it would have been completely under water with a 115 Merc on the back . The dealership came and got it to find out that there was a defect in the one pontoon and had almost completely filled with water. Chris, I agree that things happen but when Bentley was notified of the problem it has been nothing but a battle to get it fixed and if Bentley was so concerned with the customer's satisfaction then why still are they reluctantly agreeing to fix the problem but refuse to reinburse the dealership for picking up the boat and returning it? Was this another of one of those "off" days?

3. tuttertut

tuttertut Guest

DGIO,
    By disconnecting you battery you have eliminated induced corrosion coming from your boat, if you do not have any other current producing items. One possibility is the water where you keep your boat my have electric current leakage. I have seen a 1 inch thick 5 X 10 ft. peice of alumium completely corrode away in less that a year in a boat slip. The aluminm sheet was mistakenly used as a bulkhead. This occured in brackish water. There was current being leaked into the harbor where the slip was located. If this fits, check your local conditions for this.
    Also, aluminum needs magnesium anodes not zinc. Other than that if you have stainless in contact with aluminum the difference in the nobility of the metals will enhance corrosion.
    Clean often and treat with a water barrier coating.

Good luck.

4. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Bentley Pontoon Corrosion

The corners that have had a corrosion problem were replaced with new ones three times. The boat was stored last winter with no battery and on a trailer. They started to corroded in the same way. Ever person with a Bentley Pontoon that has contacted me has had the same issue. It has nothing to do with the water or the battery. This boat has a problem away from water with corroding. Salt water was just a good excuse for all the corrosion problems. Once again lets not forget we are not discussing problems with a boat that is years old, but ones thats are few months old.

5. tuttertut

tuttertut Guest

Bentley corrosion

I am curious, mainly because as a 30 year resident of the gulf coast and worked in marine science for those 30 years and the last 20 years was the small (<30 ft.) boat manager at our laboratory where we had several all aluminum boats and I had to fight corrosion continuously. I would also like to add that I have no idea what a Bentley pontoon is, I do have an older Sun Tracker Bass Buggy I refurbished two years ago. Now for some questions.
    Are the places of corrosion fastened with stainless steel fasteners? That Bentley company may have obtained some or most parts made of an aluminum alloy that is just easy to corrode. There is no good reason for the aluminum (if the proper type) to corrode that quickly under the conditions you describe. Find some 5000 series aluminum and bolt it to your pontoon boat with the same type of fasteners that are on the boat and check for corrosion as compared to the parts on the boat. None of this is magic and there has to be a reason. Please keep me posted as these things are good training, even if at your expense for those of us with aluminum boats.
    Just as a side note, I have corrosion all over my boat, but not as fast as you have described. Mine was made in 1988 and I have had it since 2005. I just went through the boat again (the marine carpet from Lowe's disentigrated in 18 months) and I found many places where corrosion has set in again. I cleaned and sprayed with "Deep Creep" suggest by a friend. I guess some corrosion you just have to live with.

6. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Bentley Pontoon Corrosion & Electrical Problems

Once again buyer beware. If I had done the research before I bought this Bentley Pontoon I would not be in this exclusive Bentley Pontoon fan club. The dealers and the sales people tell a convincing story about this company and there product. The only ones that know about the problems are the people that bought the boats. No Bentley Pontoon dealer has ever had or heard of any of these problem. I have resolved myself to the fact that this Bentley Pontoon is just another learning Experience for me, and I will not make the same mistake with the next boat. When you trust people in life without doing your home work you will get hurt. I have broken all contact with the dealer that sold the boat to me and Bentley. When my Bentley Pontoon gets bad enough I will donate it for scrap and except the loss. Some owner have contacted me saying that Bentley is in chapter 11. I don't know for sure if this is true or not. I have also been told they don't answer there phones.

7. peterpan45

peterpan45 Guest

You will be happy, or unhappy if you are waiting for warranty work to be completed, that Bentley closed down 2 weeks ago. Quality or lack there of has finally caught up to them.

8. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Bentley Pontoon

Is seems that the customer will win if they are determined. Companies and there retailers that are out to put inferior products on the market and take our hard earned money from consumers will eventually fall. Some of you that have read this thread have been critical in correcting grammar, spelling and call us fools for buying a boat like the one in this thread. They were never interested in the context of the issue. They go from thread to thread with nothing to contribute. Needless to say they have or will make a bad choice as they go through life as a consumer. When they experience this issue, I hope they remember when they complain to make sure they use proper grammar and check there spelling. The news of Bentley closing once again speaks for it self.

9. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

New Name ??

WANT WARRANTEE WORK​

Encore Boat Builders, LLC announced May 25 that they have purchased certain assets, marks and equipment from Mercury Marine formerly utilized by Bently Industries in the production of pontoon boats in Lexington, South Carolina and Mexico, Missouri. The specific terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Beginning immediately, Encore Boat Builders, LLC will produce a new and improved line of pontoon boats under the "Bentley Encore" name. The CEO and president of Encore is Steven Deese. Encore has hired skilled employees with extensive knowledge and experience in the production of high quality pontoon boats. Production commenced on May 25, 2009 and Encore Boats in now accepting orders from dealers for all models in the line. Deese explains, "We are excited about this opportunity to give you our Encore presentation. Our goal is to produce quality boats at an affordable price with features and workmanship superior to other available models."803-391-3000

Steve Deese, the former owner of Bentley Industries, has gained approval from the town council in Mexico, Missouri, to start a new company called Encore Boat Builders in Bentley's former production facility. According to a story in the Mexico Ledger, the town council agreed to a lease with Encore that has allowed it to resume production.

According to the paper, Deese turned Bentley over to Mercury Marine, one of its secured creditors, last January. Mercury, said the paper, then defaulted on the lease and shut down production.

Deese told the town council that he is ready to resume production, and will start with a dozen workers to start turning out boats."It's good to be back," Deese told the town council.
    Deese could not be reached for comment, though a receptionist confirmed that both facilities would be producing boats. Websites for both Bentley Industries and Encore Boats are inactive.

"The boating industry is poor now, but we're still filling orders for lots of products," Deese told the paper.
    Steve Deese, who sold Bentley Industries to Mercury Marine, has acquired the former Bentley facilities and will start a new line called Encore

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Deese_Steve_374894913.aspx

10. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

11. pademarco

pademarco Junior Member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  12. sprinklerdr

sprinklerdr Guest

I found this site and thread by pure chance. We live in Ohio and use the 2007 Bentley 200 Cruise we bought from Buds Marine to use exclusively at Indian Lake. While we have had a few problems, none of which were any real bother and the dealer corrected them all quickly and to our satisfaction. It is my first pontoon, and since we entertain at the lake, not likely our last. However, a JC Tri-Toon or the like will be our next purchase instead.

List of issues:
    **Water leak at seam just in front of the helm. Tried to find it but have had no luck. Two tubes of 100% silicone later I still can't find the darn thing!
    **Playpen came loose-dealer fixed no more issue
    **Two props came loose and stripped out-dealer warranty and repair
    **Carbs not synched- 50hp Merc.-dealer fixed under warranty
    **Cover ripped-I gotta eat that one, looks like snow pushed prop right thru cover---will assuredly store it this winter!
    **Steering stripped out 2/3 way across lake with full boat. Hard to say cause but a new steering setup is on order ASAP.

Paint is great, no corrosion other than tubes need some touch up. I'd agree there is some galvanic corrosion issue with the boats, but I try to keep on top of things. Trailer (Yacht Club) is peeling a bit, and that is a pisser since it just hauls the boat to the lake and then sits. For a powder coated trailer I'm disappointed.

Love the boat, but doesn't have near the "feel" of the boat I traded in (1987 V170 Rinker). By "feel" I mean a quality feel. I know I gave up a-lot speed-wise but we don't ski (Thanks football and Airborne), but the Rinker just felt more solid and not rickety. Could be I'm just not used to a pontoon feel, I dunno.

Other than the steering, which tees me off, and the prop issues there have been no major problems. However, the boat has less than 125 hours on it and I'm wondering if she'll be around as long as the Rinker or even until the loan is paid off.

I guess this was just a rant and now I feel better! Mind if I stick around?

13. manatee41

manatee41 Guest

Bentley pontoon 08

I have the same problems. The boat has gone back to our dealler about 4 times, when we got it back it only took few days before all went bad. Such as no lights, horn, radio or pump , after looking and replacing the 20 amp and 10 amp fuse in the battery area that where blown again and again the same.
    mean while my pontoons and corner post and motor all started to show sign of electical problem.
    So I started to check my wires, pull the old meter out checked voltage 2 , then checked the ohms ZERO now I new I have a cure....
    OK , I pulled the boat out , I was going to pull the wire harness out and check for a broken or wire on metal , well that only took 10 min. I started with the batt took the wires off , tried to pull the wire foward the engine to front of the boat the would not go, put my hand up into the motor area to try and free it , to my surprise BINGO my problem was solve , I again went under and pulled them free to fine all the wires where pinched under the frame and motor frame causing the harness to groung and short out . All 3 wires the large red small red and black wire that feed my pannel have all shorted out together abour 9 inches of burn mellted.
    I KNOW THAT WHAT GOING ON ..... FACTORY INSTALL....
    My only problem is Bentley not the dealler will they replace or fix my motor, pontoons, well will see

14. manatee41

manatee41 Guest

Bentley pontoon 08

I have the same problems. The boat has gone back to our dealler about 4 times, when we got it back it only took few days before all went bad. Such as no lights, horn, radio or pump , after looking and replacing the 20 amp and 10 amp fuse in the battery area that where blown again and again the same.
    mean while my pontoons and corner post and motor all started to show sign of electical problem.
    So I started to check my wires, pull the old meter out checked voltage 2 , then checked the ohms ZERO now I new I have a cure....
    OK , I pulled the boat out , I was going to pull the wire harness out and check for a broken or wire on metal , well that only took 10 min. I started with the batt took the wires off , tried to pull the wire foward the engine to front of the boat the would not go, put my hand up into the motor area to try and free it , to my surprise BINGO my problem was solve , I again went under and pulled them free to fine all the wires where pinched under the frame and motor frame causing the harness to groung and short out . All 3 wires the large red small red and black wire that feed my pannel have all shorted out together abour 9 inches of burn mellted.
    I KNOW THAT WHAT GOING ON ..... FACTORY INSTALL....
    My only problem is Bentley not the dealler will they replace or fix my motor, pontoons, well will see

15. Bremquest

Bremquest Guest

Bentley Pontoon issues

Two Things-

1.) All the courtesy lights (port side only) speedometer, and fuel gauge stopped working all at once...has anyone had problems like this?

2.) Need a changing room, somebody removed the one before I bought the boat. Any idea where I can purchase one, or anybody have one for sale?

Thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.