Bent Trim Piece

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mikkyle, Dec 25, 2004.

1. mikkyle

mikkyle New Member

Anyone know how to straighten a bent aluminum trim piece? It's about 1" wide X 3/16" or so thick,and 10ft long, and is the trim that the screws go thru to hold the port side Deck/Hull seam on my old fiberglass beater together. It got caught in the garage door spring, and when I opened the door, it put an nice 60 deg bend in it. Its bent on a screw hole, and just wondering if anyone else had to bend back aluminum before. Should I heat it, I have propane and oxy/ace torch, or just try to hammer it gently back? Should I take to a metal shop?
    Thanks
    Mike

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you have the patience it is possible to bend it back cold. I assume it doesn't have a deep crease or is cracked. You'll have to make a jig to bend it on. Sometimes a U channel and a vise can do it . The trick is not to crush the molding. It has a place for a vinyl molding doesn't it?

3. mikkyle

mikkyle New Member

Gonzo, no it is just aluminum and no vinyl. There is a straight piece on each side from where the bow stops curving, back to the transom. Older glass boat made in 1957.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Heating up aluminum is tricky because it doesn't change color. As soon as the surface gets shiny it is about to melt. I suppose that if you heat enough to soften it without getting to the shiny point it may help too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.