Possibly buying a boat, need input please

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Xyberz, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Xyberz

Xyberz Junior Member

Hey guys,

There's a seemingly really good deal on a 20' Bayliner boat with a trailer for $500. I haven't had a chance to look at it but here's some info on it.

1. The hull is in "great" condition
    2. Boat is registered until next year
    3. Boat has an I/O Volvo motor that needs repair and work done or pulled and replaced. Or stick an outboard on it
    4. Just re-did the wheel hubs on the trailer but apparently needs welding somewhere on it.

Attached is a picture of the boat on it's trailer.

What should I be looking for and what tips could you guys give me. This will be my first boat and I don't mind a small project boat since I'm fairly handy and have a bunch of power tools to work on it.

I'm willing to invest in a new or good condition outboard if it's deemed that the current motor in it is too expensive or unable to repair.

Thanks ahead for your input!

Attached Files:

2. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

The floors are always rotten in these. be prepared to rip out and replace the floor and the foam underneath as it become saturated and can add lots of weight. I did this to an 87 1900 capri bow rider. We bought the boat new. 10 years later we had to redo the entire interior. The upholstery was shot as was the floor and carpet. The glass in the hull was sold though.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The transom is probably rotten too. From your description, there is nothing in the boat that is in good condition, except maybe the hull. Looking at the photo, looks like it is bending up on the trailer beds. Probably it is deformed. Unless you want a project as a hobby, walk away from it. You should be able to buy a boat in running condition for about $1500-2000.

4. Xyberz

Xyberz Junior Member

Wow, you guys have a good eye to spot that from the photo. Of course I have no idea exactly what to look for besides the information I can find online. I'll take the chance and actually spend a little bit of time and look at it to see if I can find anything further and report back.

It's highly unlikely but maybe it's better than expected? Not gonna have any high hopes or anything. It's not far from me at all, 10-15 mins away so why not check it out right?

I'd be more than happy to walk away from something I don't have the time, energy, and big bucks to repair. Supposedly the owner posted, "replace with outboard motor and ready for the ocean". So maybe that's a glimmer of hope. :D

P.S. What do you mean it's bending up on the trailer bed? I'll take a ton more photos of just about everything I can and post them back for review. Heck I'll do a video walkaround of everything with my GoPro in full 1080P just to make sure and post it on YouTube then link it here.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A used outboard in decent condition will be over $3000. Then you have to modify the steering system, close the hole from the outdrive and modify the transom for an outboard well or bracket, the wire harness will be different, the control cables will have to be changed. If you add what you need to buy to fix the boat, it will be more than a boat in pretty good condition.

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

^^^heed these words.

I personally know of 3 diff guys who thought "I'll just slap an outboard on it" when they got a 'deal' on inboard dead engine boat with nice hull and interior.

Not one ever saw water again due above mentioned issues.

Everything on the existing setup will be in the way of "slapping an outboard on it"

Ever seen that Honda (car) some guy put a Harley Davidson engine into? It will be like trying to do that, but not interesting or noteworthy.

7. Xyberz

Xyberz Junior Member

Yeah, that sucks it'll cost more than a boat already in good condition. So pretty much the only hope is that the motor is actually repairable then. Any idea how much those motors would cost to repair? Of course if it's repairable at all. Well pretty much all motors are repairable, but up to a point where it's no longer reasonable.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That depends on the condition and whether you will do the work yourself.

9. Xyberz

Xyberz Junior Member

Inboard motors are similar to car engines aren't they? If so then I can work of them as I've worked on many car engines before, replacing alternators, radiators, brakes, etc. Of course I haven't torn a whole engine apart before and that would be beyond my scope of expertise since I also don't have the appropriate specialty tools. If it just needs your basic hand tools, then I'm all down for that.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The sterndrive is different from anything in a car. A rebuilt unit is about $3-4K. Then the trim cylinders, gimbal bearing, bellows, etc. may need work too.

11. Xyberz

Xyberz Junior Member

Let me check it out, take a bunch of pictures and most likely a video with my GoPro then hopefully you guys can assist me on figuring out if it'll be worth it to repair.

Might go after work today or Tuesday if we can't do it today. Thanks for the good info so far though, gives me a lot to check out and to inspect.

12. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

You won't get it on the water for less than about $5,000 and a year or so of work, after you're done it will be worth about $2,000 if your lucky and find a sucker. The 5K is based on it not needing a complete rebuild of the outdrive and/or motor, if it does, add a few grand more.

These boats are often given away for free because the cost and hassle to get them back on the water far exceeds their value.

13. Xyberz

Xyberz Junior Member

You're right, I was able to speak to the "owner" of the boat today. Apparently he got it from some guy who didn't run the boat for a couple of years and then decided he would try to fix it. Took a bunch of stuff off and didn't know how to put it all back together to repair it.

The current owner says he's not sure it even has all the parts himself and that the floor needs replacing.

Sadly he could've saved his time and everyone else's who inquires if he posted this really important info on the listing.

So thanks for the great info everyone, turns out exactly as you guys had said. I'll be passing on this one for sure without even a need for a visit to it.

14. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

Don't fret, you'll find your girl. You did the right thing by coming on here and inquiring. There are hundreds of years in combined real world professional experience in here.

15. Xyberz

Xyberz Junior Member

That's awesome and extremely grateful for all the sound advice. Rest assured I will be back should I happen to come across a deal that I should look at.

Currently there's a posting for a 98' 12ft Livingston with 18HP Nissan outboard that's supposedly all ready to go. But unfortunately it's $4k and I can't afford that just yet, well at least as a toy ;) :D

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.