Cost to build 35' steel Colin Archer type?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by bendix, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bendix

bendix New Member

I've done some searching, but haven't found this information yet. I contacted a boat yard, but don't expect to hear from them.

I am curious what funds are required to build just a steel hull (including rudder) for a future project if I have a professional boat yard do this. The yard would be in the United States, maybe the east coast somewhere. There is no preference as long as the price is a good one and the quality is good.

The hull will be that of a Benford #77 "Mercedes" (35' Colin Archer type) or for the purpose of throwing out a number something similar in size would be okay. The hull would be just a hull only - no pilot house, just a flush deck, no masts, no interior, no engine installed, no tanks fabricated or installed, no cut outs for portholes, etc.

Inside coatings and a final outside hull paint would be okay or without the coatings is okay, too.

An estimate within (+/-) five or ten thousand dollars (ball park) would be fine. The exact style of hull would go with the two masted version that appears second from right across the top of the webpage entitled "Cruising Designs by Benford/27". The webpage is: http://www.benford.us/index.html?lists.html and the selection "35’ Double Ended Cutter or Ketch Mercedes (PDF)" is about halfway down the page.

The estimate does not have to be exact, just an approximate that I can use to think about what to expect with a project like this. If it is too much, then I could try doing this on my own and just take some time.

Could I be looking at close to six figures just for the hull? If you have just estimates for the entire boat, that would be fine, too. Please include the approximate year the boat was finished.

Thank you for any information that's out there.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do you already have the plans for steel, are they available or do they need to be drawn?

3. bendix

bendix New Member

Plans

Thanks for the reply. The plans are drawn and are available. There will be no customizing. The hull would be built directly from the plans. If I have this hull built, I will go with the round bilged construction. If I do it myself, I'll have to go with the chined construction. I don't have experience with forming machinery and don't own these types of tools. Thanks for any info you might have.

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...last one I worked on was about 10 years ago, the cost was 15K, probably about the same todat I would think.

Remember the hull cost is bugger all compared to the rest of the game, probably about 10 % when done raw like this.

I strongly recommend Altex Devoe protective coatings for the paint work, done then and still perfect.

5. bendix

bendix New Member

Cost

Thanks for that figure. That sounds reasonable. If you or anyone else hears of more figures, please let me know. I'll try contacting more boat yards, too. Have a good day.

6. bodenbp

bodenbp Brian Poole

Colin Atcher design in steel

Boden Boat Plans have a design for a steel Colin Archer style world cruising yacht. It is double chine but otherwise the shape follows the classic Colin Archer right down to the curved external rudder. www.bodenboatplans.com for more info. Professionally designed ocean proved.Over the last 50 years Boden designs have been one of most yachts that have undertaken world circum-navigatations. All enquires welcolme.

7. Tanton

Tanton Senior Member

Colin Archer.

CA. type: Tanton Yacht Design. Steel double ender under 40'.
    TYD #882 (38') Pen-Gwyn; #895 (33') Belle Ile; #923 Tonnerre 30'.

8. bendix

bendix New Member

Thanks

I'll check those designs, too. Thanks.

9. Darkaegis

Darkaegis Junior Member

Interesting I would have thought a steel hull + labor would have cost more.

I guess this is as good as anywhere to start. We are planning on upsizing to a 40+ sailboat for our family in the next few years... and I would like to build a steel boat boat but like many the question for me is where do you start? I have ordered the study plans for the Didi 43' and the design looks like something I would be interested in.

Say you have 3+ years planned to build the boat, you are a more than competent wood worker so you can fill the interior out but building the steel construction is beyond me... where do you start here?

10. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

In the southern US are many excellent boat-savvy welding shops begging for work. A friend had the hull for a charter ketch (70') built in Alabama many years ago and said the price was half that quoted in Maine.
    Steel working is a widely practiced small business industry in Washington State and I'm sure you can find a shop willing to bid on your plans.
    Some amateurs in Europe have built steel or aluminum lapstrake hulls upside down over wood molds like a wood boat when making a Colin Archer type.

11. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Should have said Texas, sorry.

12. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Dark...

Start with these two sites......

http://www.metalboatbuilding.org/

http://www.metalboatsociety.com/

Both have large forums filled with people doing just what you are talking about.

First big option in the steelwork is to do your own layout or go NC, I believe Dudley offers NC parts for most of his designs. I would highly recommend it but initial investment is much higher than just buying a few sheets of steel. You can learn to tack weld and put the structure together and tack it, then hire a qualified welder to come and do all the finish welding.......

13. Darkaegis

Darkaegis Junior Member

I done a few searches in the Seattle area for “boat builders” most of them are geared to the “luxury crowd” which obviously isn’t me :) My dad owned a machine shop so I know my way around but being a customer (and clueless of the process) will be new to me. Any recommendations for the north sound? Maybe port orchard or bremerton shops would be more reasonable.

14. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Steel hull fabrication is different from "boat building". If you have a set of plans that is quite detailed, a skilled welder/fabricator who has never seen water (and I've known some) or a boat can build a perfectly good boat that is smooth and fair and just like the plan.
    Here in Port Townsend you could find several welders willing to give you a price, if you have a detailed and specific plan-set with all materials listed for them to base it on. Two years ago a fisherman leased a bare bit of ground, set up his computer cut frames, and built a shallow draft 80' salmon packer in just a few months, so this in not the science of the rocket.

15. Darkaegis

Darkaegis Junior Member

Thanks BATAAN, I was looking at the plans and thinking that myself. Its a BIG project but the complexity isn't, its more of a planning task. Building it yourself sounds like a good plan for our next boat. We have the time, we currently have a sailboat so building a new one won't be a rush to get sailing and I can pay for this one over a longer time period while building it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.