Building an Selling boats

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by babiboats21, Jan 13, 2006.

1. babiboats21

babiboats21 Junior Member

I was wondering what is the process for building and selling jonboats to local people. I have been building boats for awhile and some friends of mine would like me to build them jonboats. However would it be a crime if I build these boats and sell them to them not having any MIC or anything? But with that money I would like to put towards getting Ins. and etc.. But could I do this? See I would like to build simple easy,affordable jonboats to local/tourist people. But what is the start to this? Any advice would be really great! Thank you for taking the time to read this.:D

2. seadogs20

seadogs20 Junior Member

Where are you????

3. babiboats21

N.C. Area

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

International code flags November (no) Charlie (yes) used to indicate Distress, you could be in it! Now where exactly is N.C.:?: :eek:

5. babiboats21

Sorry, I'm in North Carolina.

6. safewalrus

On an individual basis can't see any problems but better to speak to the local boys on this one - America is supposed to be the land of free enterprise! there again England (in general) is supposed to have Free speech:rolleyes: (yeah! right!:rolleyes: ) Ok you don't have to pay to speak! but you might afterwards if you break various rules!:eek:

You would be breaking some sort of law if the boat sank tho' It's worth a thought, you know - what if....

7. babiboats21

I understand what your saying and it is suppose to be free right. But somehow I know I still would be breaking someones law:) But thank you for your input. I just wanted to ask out their ya know.

8. safewalrus

So I guess you'll leave well alone - worth looking into tho' I believe.

9. zerogara

zerogara build it and sail it

Start with your local chamber of commerce about licenses. NC, SC, and Florida must be better states to do this than others, since most boat builders have relocated there. In some states there are stringent air polution restrictions which in order to meet with open mold manufacturing you end up paying so much for air purification and ventilation systems that it might not be worth the effort.
    There is also an issue in some areas about waste and whether it is recyclable or not and its quantity etc.
    Definentely state tax, retail license etc.
    But how do you register the boats you've built? As home made, right? The process is different for manufactured boats that have to meet certain safety standards. Then you have liability issues, from the 4 fat bubbas that went fishing and drinking and the weight of the beer barrels broke the boat in half.
    Why not open up a shop where you are reselling others' boats then once in a while you squeeze in a few of their own to the right customers only.
    Don't be surprised if you can purchase wholesale boats for much less than you can build them. Then wonder how can that be!

10. nero

nero Senior Member

You can legally build your own boat. You can legally sell that boat.

If you have another full time job, and declair the income on your tax statement, who will bother with you?

Better yet. Have your friends buy the materials. You build it with them. (they watch what you build it for an hour or two) Then they can pay you as a hired hand. They can register it as their homebuilt boat. In the end you can make what it is what is was.

11. safewalrus

Trust 'nero' to sort it! (into fiddles see!)

12. babiboats21

Thank all you guys for your input and your ideas! It's nice to have a place like this to ask questons and get differnt advice from everywhere around. Thank you guys.