SailDesign - HELP...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

I suppose it's been a while...

Tell me - how do I get those 'lovely' horizons in my Rhino Flamingo bit that you do...

I have figured out the ground plane and mapping - but I cannot figure out how to create a seamless horizon in same...

I am currently trying to render my own redesign of Matt Laydens 'Paradox' - his ideas and my wants - nothing is new or original...

I just need the skinny - I can plod along fairly capably on my own - just looking for a few keywords and shortcuts...:)

Cheers in advance - and how are things going...

I am also building a plug for split mold of a 'big gun' - http://media.ausbg.org/photos/2001jan/750_ausbg_Jan_2001_nats_0212a.jpg - 1/144 scale model of the HMS Dreadnought - for some real time R/C CO2 powered 'pond warfare'...

OK - back to Rhino until the whiskey turns me into a video gamer - bit stuck on Battlefield 1942 - Midway map has lots of ships to play with...

Also - EU Microsoft has released a demo for Ship Simulator 2006 - http://www.planet.nl/planet/show/id=75057/contentid=720751/sc=73cb2f - bit dodgie...

SH.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Sean, old buddy,
    Step away from "Automatic sky" and set the colour at the top to a more realistic (less green) blue. Set the colour at the bottom to a VERY light grey.
    Then, set the water to "Seawater modelled", which you can tweak a little (I did) to please your artistic sensibilities. Set the sun to the aft quarter nearer the view point to create some shadows, turn on the clouds, and you're away!
    Steve

3. yipster

yipster designer

can you make the clouds a dash lichter and turn the sun back on? can hardly read what i'm writing now
    i'm not pc gaming that much but once played with a ms flightsimulator plugin enabling designing your own plane and testfly it
    downloading the ship simulator

4. yipster

yipster designer

started the 100mb watertaxi at the brooklyn bridge on my way to statute of liberty than ellis island to look for the trade center
    and altho the chart does look a little bit like the real thing i terminated this great initiative but poor running program

the simulator lettering may look like but dont think this is microsoft, we can only hope bill gates soon gets into watersports also and makes a good boatsim

must admid i'm more than curious but aint gonna get tempted to check the schips in battlefield 42 i hear so much about

5. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

BF 1942 - Battle of Midway...

Hello...

See enclosed...

SH.

Attached Files:

6. yipster

yipster designer

Thanks Sean, any smoking zigzagging high speed MTB night attack action on enemy battleships? hmm..
    here some screenshots of my old '42 european theather microsoft? combat flichtsim

Attached Files:

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Ship Simulator is by VStep, no affiliation to Microsoft.
    Neat game, the boat dynamics aren't bad. My old laptop can't handle all the 3D so I have to tone that down a bit though. Where it sucks is in navigation- ships on the chart aren't usually in the same places as on the water, so you can ram right into a 4000-ton freighter in the rain, even though the chart shows you clearing it by a couple hundred metres. And little boats somehow feel the need to ram your freighter in the side now and then, just to make you fail and repeat your mission. Other than that it's a great diversion from quantum theory homework. And the jump-ramp running race powerboat is way cool.
    here's a screenshot of that powerboat.... I tried to get it to jump the yacht, it ended up sort of humping the big boat and racking up $10k a second in damage for over a minute before it fell off.

Attached Files:

8. yipster

yipster designer

youre doing things more thorough marsmat, i stand corrected, thats a more elaborated simulater than i thought
    no saving? really have to make 5 taxi rides at once's before getting another boat?
    "bit dodgy" stands but virtually allmost like the real thing that cant visit places around the world and uses some more gas
    only saw a real sundown so i'm to late today now to go winterise the real thing...

9. LP

LP Flying Boatman

virus alert

Just downloaded the shipsim and had AVG catch a virus when I started the install. It tries to transfer the virus on each install.

Trojan Horse PSW.Lineage.PQ

10. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

11. yipster

yipster designer

takes a bit of pc power and still dodgy but no virus

12. LP

LP Flying Boatman

13. yipster

yipster designer

i'll use everything but AVG, what was it again...
    guess AVG very well may only think it found a virus as the program uses a qwest viewer that jumps back to dos etc
    after 5 boattaxi rides your supposed to get another boat and scenario, than a new scenario for each completed mission.
    arrow keys and mouse buttons work and there is even more to it than in the index and takes some getting aquainted with
    go WOT or it takes hours, than, 5 taxi rides to start with and not sure how to save and open a new level.
    interesting program but take your time and still, its not running as smooth as ms simulators

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well, an update on Vstep's Ship Simulator....
    They're up to version 1.8 now. By the end of this month they should have released the "pro" version, which for 250 euros gets you the whole game and all add-ons, plus an NMEA 0183 interface. In other words, you can wire real nav equipment up to it, and train on your real ECDIS or digital chartplotter in the virtual environment without putting your $500k boat at risk. They think there's a market for salespeople- who would be able to demonstrate their wares in action without leaving the store- as well as for navigation training courses, not to mention hardcore gamers.
    Progress on this game is swift, to be sure. At only 30 euros for the standard version it's a pretty good deal as simulators go and if the demo's any indication it's not a bad representation of the real thing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.