planing or planning. Saloon or Salon...?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Willallison, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Now I'm no english teacher, but time and time again I see people who should know better refer to a planning hull....it should (IMVHO) be spelt as P-L-A-N-I-N-G... :mad:

Now if I was planning to build a planing hull, where should I locate the Saloon...or is that Salon.... :confused:

;) ;)

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

It seems to ring a bell that a planning hull has hard chimes....

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

According to Webster's dictionary, salon and saloon are synonyms. I prefer "saloon" as the name for the main social area of a boat or ship.

Eric

4. yipster

yipster designer

...allway's thought a salon was chique'r than a saloon... :D

5. dvgale

dvgale Boats_4_People

"Saloon" is Cool, but "Salon" is not Col (nyuk nyuk nyuk)

I do believe "saloon", as the great room of a yacht or ship, is historically the correct term in the US, but since it is derived from the French "le salon", both words have come to be used.

Of interest is that, of two major Time4 Media boating periodicals, Yachting always uses "saloon", while MotorBoating uses "salon" in their articles. Not to denigrate either publication - I enjoy them both for different reasons - but this could challenge the "chic-ness" theory behind using the French word.

As for "planning" v. "planing", I believe Word's spell-checker trips up on "planing" if you don't customize the Dictionary. In the rush to get a document written, I suppose some might quickly accept an unwanted automatic spell-check change to "planning" in such an event.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.