Power Cat..... One or two drives

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 58Fireflite, Feb 8, 2015.

1. 58Fireflite

58Fireflite New Member

Hello! Just registered, first post. Am gathering info on building a power cat. Looking at asymmetrical hull design similar to a Skater. Would like it to bank a little when turning. Possible size 7.5' beam x 22' LOA, give or take. Thinking of a SBC turning a Berkeley jet in a center pod or possibly belt driving two PWC jets, one in each hull. Another possibility would be a jetski powertrain in each hull. Any thoughts on performance of one big jet vs two smaller ones, and the potential handling of the boat. Put a Subaru SVX motor and Mercruiser 1 in a 1958 Glastron Fireflite 9 yrs ago, so not my first crazy thought! Ha. Appreciate any experience with this concept! Thanks!

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Why jet(s) ?

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

How fast do you want to go? What do you want the cat for?

RW

4. Mr Efficiency

I expect he wants a fast boat, 30+ knots cruise, the PWC jets will struggle for size. Or the Berkeley may struggle to get clean water .

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Fast starts at 70 or so. It subjective though.
    58Fireflight: what is you target speed?

6. Mr Efficiency

I suppose I am used to more open waters, where 70 knots would be suicidal in a 22 foot boat, a lot of the time.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You just go airborne ;)

8. 58Fireflite

58Fireflite New Member

Hey thanks for the fast responses! Some more info.... Would like to get to 50 mph plus realistically. We are on a small 875 acre lake that never gets very rough, so big waves aren't an issue. Use it to just cruise and pull some water sports. Reason for jets.... The 225 SHO 4 stroke on my Premier is an awesome motor but that would go with the pontoon. To replace that with equivalent or more, or twin 150's say, would be probably $25K. Figured I could set up a new jet or two used ones for under $4k. Add another maybe $6K for a 400hp small block. A little novelty with function, plus all the jet advantages. (Draft, safety, maintenance, etc). Fuel efficiency isn't a huge thing for the hours it gets. Also lake is clean and virtually weed free. Any opinions on performance or handling with such a setup. Also if it were a single with center pod, bottom of pod would be at or slightly lower than outside sponsons to guarantee water, I would think. Thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.