Hull type needed

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Paul Anthony, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony Junior Member

I'm looking for a powerboat hull design. I'd like it to travel around 20 knots wide open with 15 knots at cruising speed plus have reasonable economy at slower speeds when I'm stuck in sections of the Intercoastal Waterway. The length would be around 24 to 26 feet with proper beam and draft for this size. I figure it should weigh about 3500 pounds loaded maybe as much as 4500 pounds crew and all aboard. The use will be most on bays rivers and Intercoastal but some rough water ability will be necessary some times. Modest power about 50 horse power inboard with a v drive so the diesel can locate aft out of the house.
    Glue lap strake will be the method I will want.
    I've looked at a lot of designs on the web and am thinking maybe I need a down east lobster boat style of hull. Can the straight shaft be converted to a v drive without a full custom design. These hulls seem to like straight shaft with the box in the middle of the operating area.
    My ideas extend to box keel designs but this seems to limit my top speed wishes. Maybe a double ender that can partially plane to 15 knots. I'm not sure what to pick and don't want to be stuck with a hull that gives most of what I want but gets me in the economy or speed or load capacity I like.
    Is there a hull type like this.

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Paul,

You are in luck. Take a look at http://www.bluejacketboats.com/

OK, it's powered by a 50 hp outboard, but in almost all other respects, this vessel is the ticket. A V drive diesel in a double ender probably will not have enough buoyancy at the stern. Glued lap strake is not going to be the quickest build, cold moulded and/or stitch and glue will get you on the water more quickly.

If Down East is more your style and you want a diesel I/O see http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/DE25Cabin_study.htm?prod=DE25Cabin

Good luck,

Pericles

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.