Simple boat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by weedeater64, Oct 12, 2009.

1. weedeater64

weedeater64 Junior Member

I really like Wharram's Child of the Sea.
    I am giving some serious thought to building a boat.
    I was wondering? Does anyone know of a design similar to child of the sea, but shorter, around 28 to 30 feet?

I can't help but wonder why I shouldn't just get some wood and start building, planning as I go, without buying a design. I mean I know I could get somewhere near the shape of that boat just from pics and reading about what others have done.. Perhaps not highly engineered, but I'm confident I could get a boat that would float and sail, though it may be last across the line at a race. I'm not concerned with that though, I want something that will be strong, simple, easy to build and maintain.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Two things can happen: You will build a boat fast, cheap and easy to maintain. or you are the typical dreamer that will take years to build a crapper that will fall apart in short time. The only way to find out is to do it.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Something strong, simple and easy to maintain requires considerable designing skill, which you're post suggests you don't own.

Yea, it's a piece of cake, anyone can do it and why people pay professionals anything at is beyond me. I say go for it and let us know how launching day turns out. A tip to the inexperienced, paint your waterline after you've launched, not before.

4. bill broome

bill broome Senior Member

keep your eyes open for a tiki 26, one will come on the market before you can build a boat. buy it, sail it, think about how to improve it.

a modern rig, and dagger boards would come to my mind, but they are good boats as is. don't be in a hurry to try to improve on the professionals, it's a good way to burn money and time.

if you absolutely have to build one, give richard woods some money for 'surfsong' plans, it's a modernized wharram about the size you are looking for.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Plan first, I mean REALLY PLAN FIRST, before you start building. It will save you a lot of grief.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.