Very large trimaran cruisers...?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by AnthonyW, Jan 24, 2016.

1. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Senior Member

I am hoping this hasn't been discussed before and I have missed it...

I was wondering if there are any very large superyacht sized trimarans that have actually been built? (To be clear - powered by wind - not motor trimarans).

Yachts like the Perini 70m, Mari Char III and the Vertigo 220ft by Philippe Briand in a trimaran format would offer fast cruising with quite a bit more space on board for a fast cruiser with more comfort and more open deck space.

Is it a docking space issue? If so the ama's could go beyond the accomodations and be semi-retractable?

It it a function that above a certain size the benefits of a trimaran in terms of comfort (from rolling) become so minimal as to negate any benefit?

Could be cost - building three hulls in this size as opposed to one?

Or is it speed - once the hulls are so heavy that one cannot fly the wetted surface area is too great to benefit? I wouldn't have thought so but am I missing the mathematics of this somewhere?

Or is it simply that superyacht owners would rather have for their money something looking more traditional?

Or have I just missed in my search for trimarans this size category?

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Senior Member

Thanks Doug, but I was thinking more along the lines of a fast cruiser of some size, ie more sleek superyacht than big trimaran or bloated 'stack em up with tourists' boat. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Nonetheless the Cuan Law is not small by any stretch. I am just thinking something like Mari Char III with sleek outriggers could be extremely beautiful boat, and still fairly quick as well as roomy.

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The closest to what you have described I've seen are Kurt Hughes large trimarans. They are not quite superyacht sized but around the 60' mark.

http://www.multihullcompany.com/Trimaran_for_Sale/HUGHES/PERRY_Trimaran/Rosinante

http://www.multihullcompany.com/Trimaran_for_Sale/SS63/Atlantis

and he has a concept for a 79' performance cruising trimaran.

http://www.multihulldesigns.com/designs_stock/79tri.html

There was a wide bodied trimaran built with foldable floats that was discussed in this thread post #39 onwards.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/wide-hulled-trimaran-37735.html

VPLP have been promoting a few superyacht like trimaran concepts of late but they look more sail assisted motor yachts than performance trimarans as such. It's hard to make a good case for a trimaran in that superyacht application when catamarans do the job so well.

http://www.superyachtworld.com/yacht-shows/monaco-yacht-show/86m-vplp-trimaran-concept-komorebi-9120

5. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Senior Member

Thanks Corley

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Cxl

Not built yet as far as I can tell but the story says:
    Construction, in vacuum-infused epoxy, will be at Tamsen Maritim and the CXL will be marketed by Bluewater Yachting.

The picture from behind doesn't do it much justice. The thing has retractable amas to make it narrow when that is an advantage. Except that it hasn't been built it seems to me to fit Anthony's description in the first post.

10. eiasu

eiasu Junior Member

11. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Senior Member

Thanks

Thanks Eiasu!

1 person likes this.
  12. Rastapop

Rastapop Naval Architect

13. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Senior Member

I guess this makes Corley's point - in this size the trend is simply to build a catamaran. Lots of trimaran designs, but those actually build craft are cats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.