Looking for cedar plank rowboat plans

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by shark, May 28, 2008.

1. shark

shark New Member

I am looking for plans for a cedar plank row boat but have had difficulty finding a suitable set.

My criteria are as follows. The boat must row well and be able to handle moderate seas (no flat bottom or prams etc). Must be a fishworthy boat. I am interested in an overall length between 14-17 ft. It must be able to accomodate a small outboard engine. I would prefer to build a cedar plank boat but I would also consider lapstrake. Aesthetics matter as well...since I will invest a fair amount of my time in this project it should look nice.

My problem thus far has been that either the designers want you to purchase a whole kit (and I only want the plans) or the boat is either unsuitable because it incoporates sails or is a double ender etc. If anyone knows of where I might find plans that fit my requirements please pass on the links or contacts.

Thanks,

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Sounds like a whitehall is a good choice. There are a lot of plans for old build methods that can be found in books. John Gardner books in partticular might include boats such as the whitehall. Check the library. The problem with the web is that the library's not on it. There are hundreds of free plans in books.
    The web will have only a few crummy plans for free.

Alan

3. GGress

GGress New Member

Try Paul Gartside, he's even close to you. His 15' Salmon Guide Boat, design
    #140A looks like it would fit the bill, lapstrake though.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Contact me by email (click on my name), I have several of that general configuration and I don't sell kits.