what model is this boat? (1971 PolarKraft 16' Jon boat)

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hubbytomdaman, Feb 12, 2011.

1. hubbytomdaman

hubbytomdaman New Member

Bought a 1971 PolarKraft 16' Jon boat,a few months ago,no model on the boat or title and I only have a 5 digit HID(numerical) stamped into the transom,so I cant track the boat that way,PolarKraft does not have any info on boats that old,been trying to find pics or ads or anything that can help me identify this boat would apprieciate any help

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

In 1971 , boat manufactures weren't required to issue HIN's to their products. The number you see is very likely the hull number used for internal identification within the manufacture.

If you don't have a title you have to reapply for one, typically using the previous registration number that should be affixed to the forward portions of the boat. If you or someone else removed these numbers, then write down the "IL" number that used to be there, as there will likely be a stain or shadow left behind when the numbers where removed.

Simply put, the boat was titled and registered once and that set of paper work remains with the boat, regardless of ownership status, until it is declared destroyed. If the paper work is lost, you can re-apply for title and/or registration. You will not have success getting a new title or registration, without accepting the fact that you'll be reissued the old registration number (the IL number on the bow) and new title after proof of ownership. If you attempt to get a new title and then a registration, they will insist on receipts and other documentation of the boats' construction or a bill of sale from a manufacture or builder or a "statement of origin" from the same.

I mention this because people come into possession of boats without titles all the time. They remove the registration numbers and then try to get the boat re-titled in their name. If you try this, be prepared for the obvious questions by the authorities, who've heard it all before.

Since you bought the boat, you have a receipt, which is usually all you need, assuming the title is clear. In Illinois, the Department of Natural Resources handles the paper work for boat titles and registrations. You will need to apply for a "transfer of Ownership" at the very least, but you may also have to do a "title search" and a corrected title if any information is wrong. All of this can be done on line.

As for identification of the boat, well it appears you have what you need to know. She's a 1971 Polar Kraft and a 16' Jon boat. Yes, maybe it would be nice to know more about the manufacture and all that, but hundreds of boat builders have come and gone since 1971 in this country. You might have some luck looking up the manufacture if you had a HIN, with it's "Manufacture Prefix Code" and searched the USCG HIN data base. You also might have some luck with the manufactures name, but good luck, as the USCG site documentation storage and retrieval systems, are a joke and nearly imposable to sort through all the junk.

3. hubbytomdaman

hubbytomdaman New Member

PAR,
    Thankyou very much for your response,looking back at what I posted,I realize I did not make it clear that I "DO" have the title and all the paper work(Title,registration) has been cleared in my name,I was just curious about the model,it is not stated on the title,that area on the title is blank.What initialy raised my curiosity is the Title says it's a 1971,but the 5 digit HID(numerical)ends in 72,but like you said,and I kinda already figured,that number is a internal manufacture number.I contacted PolarKraft(Natical) and they said they do not have records going back that far,thanks for the help and anything else you might have thought of.Still waiting for a response back from Illinois Dept.Nat.Resources,to see if they have record of orginal title with model numer on it,and possibly record of the first time it was registered,well see Thanks