Absolute noob

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by jcng722, Jul 23, 2010.

1. jcng722

jcng722 Guest

Hi all,
    Complete and utter newbie to boat building. At last have a space for a woodshop and it's about time to embark on some long putoff dreams. I have some simple enough goals, I guess. My son just turned 3 and there'll be another one on the way shortly. My goal is to have a nice little sailer built by the time my oldest is 8. Yes, I figured there won't be a whole lot of time for this so I give my self 5 years.

Been searching this forum and others but it's easy to get lost so many interesting threads. So I might as well just ask. Is there a boat building/design bible? What are THE books I should read?

Thanks all for any info.

2. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

For design, sure: Larsson & Eliasson. Principles of Yact Design (III, 2007).
    For building, depends on your material choise. For modern wooden boats: The Gougeon Bothers on Boat Construction.

But for a starter: Gerr: Nature of Boats and Brewer: Understanding Boat Design

3. jcng722

jcng722 Guest

Thank you terhohalme.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.