Important

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I considered bunging this up on drivel,--or grumpy bath plug, but this is so important and affects every single one of us here with boat or not that I decided is needed its own thread.

If this report from the BBc is true then the only thing I have to worry about is now gone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8367141.stm

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

In all seriousness, I have been aware of this for years.

It was published some time ago. I am the product of two alcoholic parents

and for years abstained from alcohol. I now have 1/3 ounze of rum in

my coffee every morning and either a beer or a glass of red wine every

evening. I was diagnosed four years ago with a terminal illness. All is

well, considering.

-Tom

3. masalai

masalai masalai

We all have a terminal illness - it is called death... Enjoy life whilst you can:!: :!:

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

And I thought the terminal illness we all had was called "old age".

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Old age is usually the "recognition phase" where it becomes obvious that the days are numbered and we are not indestructible:D:D most seek to catch up on what they most wanted to do... before "times up" is called... Some (my mother), find that they are over-taken by unforeseen events and end their lives in a "comfortable institution" as they have dementia or severe loss of short term memory or other problems, and need constant supervision for their own safety... - - The genetic probability is that I am headed in the same direction and I am torn apart every time I visit because I know how independent and self-sufficient she liked to be... I am resigned to that fate unless "adventure" gets me first...

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Good post mass ,--I think thats where I am now. Accepted the inevitable slightly panicking trying to soak up as much life as I can before ---

Thing is it gets harder to motivate.

An ole friend is terminal, not much of a shock anymore, seems like every conversation with my aged friends uncovers yet another one on the door step.

Any way I was out last night "keeping healthy"

Do you think talking about it speeds it up?

Found 2 small rats stuck in the car door jam yesterday, one was dead and smelling which attracted me to them. Barely eyes open one tried to crawl away, but It could barely crawl, it was'nt a very good swimmer iether taking seconds to drown in my car wash bucket, but clung onto life after being dummped over the fence

This sort of thing is not my religion ( my religion is me) and I hated it, It could not possibly have survived. I watched him take 1/2 hour to die. Im a lousy executioner and was saddened at taking a life and I obviously still am.

The stench of death from his brother is still lingering either in reality or my imagination.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

What did that USA female "talking head" call Rudd when he announced that a cull may be necessary for some feral camels? are you of the same ilk? - Gosh Frosty, You have something in common with the Australian PM (apart from resembling a human):D:D:eek:

8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

A glass of good wine a day can only do you good, guys. ;)
    Now, the scientific research may prove or disprove that it can also make you live longer, but no research is necessary for me to understand that living a good life is probably more important than living a long life...

By the way (Re: the rat story), even when I have to kill a mosquito, I always make sure it an instant death. For the rest, I'm avoiding to take away any life. There was a wasp nest below my window this spring, I've closed the window net and let them live their life and do their business. When they've gone and the nest was abandoned, I've destroyed it. I and other people have walked past their nest many times and were never attacked. Live and let live.

It all makes part of my personal philosophy about what a good life is.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Red wine, natural home baked bread to be eaten now, (therefore no need for preservatives and anti-this or anti-that to make it last a week without becoming a mould incubator), some fresh, local, in-season, fruit & veg and some meat, when available fresh (never frozen)... Wine may travel carefully but most of what we eat should not...

If you kill you should be made to eat it ALL... (That would reduce a lot of murder and those who have no revulsion may then be readily identified and "cast out" as a social-deviant...)

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I have little doubt that light drinking is good for you. There might even be a case made for moderate drinking.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say "high amounts" of alcohol are good for your heart. One of my younger brothers died of a heart attack a couple of years ago in his mid-fifties. It was kind of a race to see whether his liver or his heart quit first, and it was booze that killed him. There were eight kids in my family. The surviving seven range from almost teetotallers to moderate drinkers, and we're all going strong with no heart problems.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I don't think I could possible drink any more, I had 7 beers last night watching Castaway and Jurassic park11 with some apricot cake I got from tesco's.

My Dads a moderated drinker--well does'nt now at all my Mum says. Hes 82 and got a mountain bike.

I phoned him last week and he was busy pressure washing the drive in the rain apparently.

I don't think about beer until about 6 Pm then there is this switch in my head.

12. wardd

wardd Senior Member

then those on that new brit sub with the rum and bordello will be ok

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Wow, a whorehouse in a submarine:?::!: That could be a new line for "Submarine Tom" :D:D:eek: - - NO distractions from the activity intended;)