Basic Light Pole Base Wiring Question

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by BoatBeginnrTYT, Nov 22, 2011.

1. BoatBeginnrTYT

BoatBeginnrTYT New Member

I'm new to wiring- have a few beginner books ordered, don't worry- and I recently purchased an attwood 3-pin pole light base so that I can install a bow light on my 16' fishing boat.

So far I've tried to attach a fused positive lead from my pos control panel to the slot labeled 'power' on my toggle switch-- I've attached the grey wire of the pole base to the slot labeled 'accessory' on my toggle switch-- and I've attached the black negative wire from the pole base to the negative bus bar in my console (Also attached an additional grounded wire from bus bar to toggle switch location labeled 'ground'.

After doing this, I can get the neon light on the switch to light up after flipping the switch, but cannot get a light in the pole base to illuminate (no matter if I attach the grey wire OR the blue wire of the plug to the positive feed.)

What am I doing wrong- do I need to utilize all 3 wires on this pole base in order for it to work?.. and if so, how can I accomplish this with one 3 way toggle switch.

***According to the instructions I need to attach the black wire of the 3-pin pole base to a ground, the blue wire to the switch from courtesy light..?, and the grey wire to a switch for the navigation running lights.

Link to picture of pole light base

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3pin-plugin..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item415dc78b4f

2. Bglad

Bglad Senior Member

When you write bow light do you mean mast head or red/green combination?
    What does the fixture look like you are plugging into the socket? A 16' boat only needs a red/green forward and white all around light aft for running.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I would say if they supplied three wires then it's there for a reason and has to be hooked up. Did they provide a diagram or instructions?

4. beachcraft

beachcraft Junior Member

Test the wiring to the pole base with a multimeter. Or test it with a spare interior light or any 12v device or bilge pump or whatever to see if the right wire lights it up as expected with the switch at each position.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The package that came with the socket and/or light will have a wiring diagram in it. It's about as simple a circuit as it gets. Follow the diagram. If this is too much, call a buddy that's got some experience with 12 VDC electrics. It's not hard, but can be intimidating to some.

The Attwood site has installation instructions for your round pole socket base. From memory, the blue wire is connected to the courtesy light switch. The gray wire is the nav light switch wire. The black is ground. You only need the two pin socket for a standard bi-color, round pole bow light.

6. BoatBeginnrTYT

BoatBeginnrTYT New Member

Ok, ya, I mentioned the instructions. I don't have courtesy lights, or a courtesy light switch. I simply have a console with a fused positive bus bar, an additional fused bus bar beside it, and 2 negative bus bars.

I'm assuming that I can substitute- connect to courtesy switch- as //connect to a positive source, but, I'm not sure, & will have to test that theory tomorrow.