Bayliner 1950 dumped

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by butchinvenice, Jun 24, 2014.

1. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

I wasn't talking about the registration for the boat or doing a title search.

The OP wanted to know where to look for the secondary HIN on the boat, if it had one. I merely stated that this information might not be made public, for obvious reasons, and that he seek the help of someone who might know where to look. IMO, it's not inconceivable that a person who handles boats for sale for a living might know where to look, if nothing else, to protect himself from handling stolen boats. :)

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I know lots of brokers and they are sales people, often knowing little about particular models, years, manufactures other than it's resale value and market share. They certainly don't crawl around in the areas you might find a secondary HIN.

This HIN is usually in a fairly obvious yet out of site location, with each manufacture placing them in all sorts of locations. Most of us that have worked on boats may be familiar with a particular model's location, though only because having seen it during other operations.

I've worked on several Capri's over the years and they come in lots different configurations, depending on year and accommodation package. The deck cap/liner is modified from year to year, if not made new and the only thing the hull shell has, that all would share is the aft section stringers and engine beds, which would be the logical location, to start a secondary HIN search. Bayliner could also be contacted for more precise information about the location.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.