Bayliner 175 versus Glastron MX 175 ??

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Sam, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Hieu Phan

Hieu Phan Junior Member

I have classic solid color Polo shirts that are 15 years old like, green, blue, red, and white. Hopefully, the resale is good. The only way to find out is when you are going to sell it in a few years.

2. peevuto

peevuto Guest

I have looked at the Bayliner 185, along with the boats you have mentioned in the 18' range. The Bayliner 185 is about 4-5k more like you point out, but when you look at it closely, I can not see 4-5k more in value. Same with the 8k more you are about to pay... I don't see 8k worth of extras. Its like they are making you pay 8k for about 4k worth of value. Therefore, you must really want those extras A LOT to pay such a premium... for me, it just doesn't make sense to upgrade. I guess if there was something that was a HUGE difference, and not just a better looking console, adjustable steering wheel, or curved glass, then maybe I would consider it. But really, lets face it, the extras are very minor things. I would rather wait until I know exactly what extras I need, and which I don't need, so that when I do venture into the 18-20k market, I get a boat that I will be happy with for years to come!

If you read the online reviews regarding the Bayliner 175, you will see that the Merc 3.0 litre has a lot of power because of the light weight of the boat, and will hoist even the biggest whale of a skier out of the water no probs. Top end is 45, and at cruising speed, the Bayliner 175 gets way better gas mileage than any of its competitors.

If the Bayliner looked like the Glastron MX 175, I wouldn't be buying it, cuz the Glastron looks very cheap, and has next to no features. But again, like the many reviewers have said "the Bayliner 175 is inexpensive, but definitely not cheap."

That pretty much sums it up.

3. Nick___

Nick___ Guest

You must remember that Brunswick owns Bayliner, Sea Ray, Maxum, Meridian Yachts and many many more. The Bayliner 175 is the exact same hull as the SeaRay 180. So everyone saying how much a Sea Ray hull is built better or brand X is built better it's not. Bayliner's have a lifetime warranty, like most manufactures do. The actual price out the door will vary per dealer, most are around the $12,000 mark out the door minus tax. To my knowledge you can't buy any new boat for that price. This talk about how a few rubber or plastic fittings will not hold up in the sun is not true, the boat holds up great. Bayliner used to make a cheaper boat, hands down. They had a thinner hull, plastic windshields, thin upholstry, thin carpet. They sold the boats for practically nothing. Fortunately in the early 90's they beefed up everything on the boats, and now I would put them against anyone in quality and performance. If you have to have the Crownline name, or SeaRay name to feel cool then a Bayliner is not right for you. If you have to have a red hull and green interior, a Bayliner is not right for you. If you want a great boat at a great value, a Bayliner is right for you.

4. Hieu Phan

Hieu Phan Junior Member

The baylinger is single hull. Sea Ray is doubled. Sea Ray's vinyl is thicker and softer, carpet is better and snaped on, more foam and better quality for the seating, has a radio and speakers, better storage.

It's like buying a Chevy or a Cadillac. More dough...more quality stuff.

5. Jesse

Jesse Guest

Where are you folks finding Bayliner 175's for $10,000?

My local boat dealer quoted me 11,900 for one a couple days ago. I would love to find a new one for around $10,000.

Jesse

6. Bayliner 175

I'm a new owner of a 2004 Bayliner 175. I've been boating for 6 years and bought this boat to replace a quickly aging 25 year old tri-hull. For the money, it's a great boat. I've had it for a little over a month and have used it every weekend. The 175 is a well made boat and it uses quality materials in the construction. The overall workmanship is very good. I'm very happy with my purchase.

The 175 has plenty of power to pull me out of the water when I ski, more than enough power for tubing and she will do 47MPH (On GPS) with two people and gear. The off-center gas tank mentioned before is a non-issue.

I bought a quality cover for the boat so the interior should last for years.

I paid $10,745 out the door. That includes state boat registration, trailer tags and sales tax.

It's a inexpensive boat, not a cheep boat.

Happy Boating,

JEFF

7. polokid

polokid New Member

Just to add my $.02. I bought a Bayliner 175 a few weeks ago and it is a great boat. I did a lot of research before I finally made my choice.Peevuto is correct, the Glastron is actually $10,800 before all the dealer charges and the Bayliner is $9999. By the time I was out the door, it was almost exactly $12,000. The Glastron is very cheap looking with no carpeting. The Bayliner has seating for 6 plus the bow will hold 1 person. The Glastron has a bench seat in the back for 3 and 2 other seats for passenger and driver. The boat is so light it makes for easy trailering. The boat is rated to do 43.6 on the water but I have had mine over 45mph ! It flys ! For an entry level boat, I believe you get a lot for your money. Another feature is the fact you can drain the mainfolds your self with an easy pull of a line right on top of the engine so that saves you having to pay someone to winterize it each year. Also it has a tube that goes down in the drainpan so you can drain your oil yourself thru the transom plug. This is another great way to save money. All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with the Bayliner.

8. Hise

Hise Guest

Another person's 2 cents...

This has been a great thread... (well except for the t-shrit part :)) I'm comparing these 2 boats myself and can't decide. I'm leaning towards the Glastron precisely because of no carpet. I just don't understand why anyone would put carpet in a boat (unless there trying to cover up corners and joints that don't fit well). I don't want to deal with fish guts on carpet.... no doubt about, carpet is going to get wet on a boat (with bathing suits and the many days of rain while the boat sits beside the house). I imagine that the carpet can hold moisture long enough that eventually the plywood underneath will begin to have moisture problems. Likewise, the Bayliner has wood stringers... granted they have started to encase them in fiberglass; but, again, no doubt about it, a boat is going to have water in the bilge. If that fiberglass around the stringers starts to blister, water can make its way to the wood stringers.

The Glastron has a fiberglass floor and fiberglass stringers, so no wood to rot. The Glastron also has the same engine as the Bayliner, so the nice maintenance features you described are also available on the Glastron.

However, I prefer Bayliner's seating arrangement, and I like that the Bayliner's bow seats are larger, and I like Bayliner's price better :) If I do wind up with a Bayliner because of the price difference, my focus will be on how to keep the floor and bilge dry while the boat is stored. I'd even consider after a few years, replacing the floor with that plastic plywood stuff (of course that would probably cost as much or more than the difference in the price between the Glastron and Bayliner.

It's going to be a slow process for me to make a decision.

--Hise

9. Captain Adam

Captain Adam Guest

The Bayliner 175 Rocks

Another testimonial - the Bayliner 175 Rocks.... I bought the bayliner 175 a few months ago at the Newport Boat Show, and it's been great. It is easy to trailer and to launch (one man operation). My family of 5 has plenty of room when fishing on the lake... it takes the waves good too - I've taken it out of both Boston and Plymouth Harbor's... I would say the one-way range is probably around 60 miles - I ventured 15 miles out and back, and still had half a tank - excelent MPG.
    -Adam

10. raaz

raaz Guest

Everyone... I myself own a 2003 Bayliner 175. I was 23 when I bought it so yes this is my first boat. Let me tell you from someone that has taken it out every weekend on the Chesapeake bay... I love it! Such a great boat. This boat was designed to compete with the used boat market. Why buy used when you can buy a brand new one for only 9,995! I have had her in 3ft waves. That is the limit for her. She can smash away 2 footers if needed but again it's a pounding sport boat. Pounder as they say... I have not had any problems at all with her and this is the 3rd season. Very, very soild boat and I highly recommend one to anyone looking.

Yes it doesn't have the sleek wind shield but I have gotten a lot of comments on her. She sits real nice in the water, very sleek. And also on a calm day I too have had her at the 50mph mark. I know..I know +/- for not vert accurate speedo.

11. Guest23

Guest23 Guest

The Bayliner has 45 gauge vinyl.

12. auskins

auskins New Member

I own a 2004 Bayliner 175 and i love it!!!
    I live in a small town in Newfoundland, Canada and every one that sees her only have good things 2 say and many ask me how much i paid (they think $22 000 Canadian)
    were it was ship this far she was a bit more then in America but i got her with all 6 life jackets, paddles, cover, trailer (i think all of them come with the trailer stander) basicly all the stuff u need out in the water
    and she was $17 000 Canadain which is around
    $10 500 american which is a pretty good deal
    no drating and we always have a full take of gas and she don't seem 2 pull the one side but that is because we have her set up right (not many people do this and this is why they find there boat pulls 2 the one side)
    and brad...i do beleave it's a GM block
    thats what my Bayliner dealer told me and that is what it looks like 2 me
    i had her up to 50 mph lots of times by myself (i know that might be off a bit)
    when she is trim right she sticks right out of the water for 3 or 4 seconds and then she leveles off prefect
    she is the nicest riding boat i every rode and i been in a few
    bang 4 the $ she is the best boat in the water
    u should try 2 take a demo out
    there is a movie for the motor on the mercury site that shows u how 2 change the oil (the best thing about the boat)
    and the resale vaule is almost the same amount as what i paid in my region

13. williammarshbur

williammarshbur New Member

glastron vrs bayliner

the glastron in 06 has snap in carper a nice driver area plush seating full seating across the back which is padded volvo penta engine which is basically a chevy with lots of room to work . this boat also comes with a boldge pump , the styling of the boat looks great and sporty . the boat has a glove box with a stereo/ cd player, bimini top , cup holders in front rear and driver and passenger seats. this boat has power trim and tilt and an aluminum trailer. as i stated the carper snaps in and can be repalced easily which is a big plus if you have carpert in a bost. the take home price after taxes and fees and grand down was14,400, now the aluminum tarailer does cost more than gavanized but is much lighter for pulling. over all i like the glastron but would not tell anyone which boat to buy but what gives you peace of mind .

14. dcwilliams

dcwilliams New Member

'08 Glastron mx175

I know this posting is old now but I just wanted to find out what boat you decided on ? I own a 2008 Glastron mx175 and love it. Mine came with snap in carpet , a stereo/cd player, and a bimini top. I have been skiing, tubing, kneeboarding, and wakeboarding behind it for three years with no problems. I added a wakeboard tower,depth finder,and swim step to the boat.

15. dcwilliams

dcwilliams New Member

Correction on my last post - I have purchased the wakeboard tower but have not installed it. Does anyone have good advice for installing tower on a Glastron MX175 ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.