Bayliner 175 cracked engine block

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by DogCavalry, Feb 23, 2022.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Nah. I have an aqs 125 or something. Like this one. Mine isn't $2900 pretty, but was running and had decent compression. Not worth your trouble. Find an old runner.

Volvo Penta AQ125A engine for sale Volvo Penta AQ125A engine motor for sale [Volvo Penta AQ125 Motor] - $2,899.95 : Used Boat Parts https://www.shipwrecksalvage.net/volvo-penta-aq125a-engine-for-sale-p-5197.html

2. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I guess I've been confusing. Not surprising, it's a crazy time. The Bayliner is sound, with a cracked block. The other boat was a wooden boat that someone wrapped in polyester and mat, and the hull rotted away. It has a 3l engine too, maybe not cracked. If it's salvageable, I can swap all in 2 long days, get the bayliner going again.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    fallguy likes this.
  3. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

And sometimes there's luck, and good will, and generosity. Anne found a possible commuter on Facebook Marketplace, on Vancouver Island a few hours away in a small town called Ladysmith. Too far for us to go check it out. But that fine gentleman @cracked_ribs lives there, and he kindly offered to go see. And by "go see", he meant several hours checking it over and questioning the vendor. Then, because it had no trailer, he put his own boat on blocks, trailered the boat back to his place, installed a battery and fuel tank. While this was going on, he coordinated with @BlueBell , who is a retired captain of tremendous experience, for the delivery. Tomorrow morning, with any luck, @BlueBell will take it from him, and drive it across the Strait of Georgia, to our doorstep. It's good to have friends.

And with the move over, and a reliable commuter, I'll be able to get back to Serenity.

4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Most dangerous thing on a boat is the schedule...

Weather permitting, I'm on my way.

5. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Brilliant! This is what Forums are for. And on this thread it is working wonderfully.

What type of commuter boat have you acquired?
    And what engine does she have?
    Photos please. :)

BlueBell and DogCavalry like this.
  6. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

IMG_20220303_164238.jpg
    2011 Canventure, 17', with a 70hp Johnson

7. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Light green. Anne has decided to call it Lime, since the binliner was a lemon.

She's rather bedraggled. Someone decided to spruce her up by applying gelcoat with a roller and a brush. And neglected the prep work. But seems sound, and I'm all about function.

BlueBell likes this.
  8. bajansailor

She is looking better than the lemon in the Binliner.
    Our main telephone company here used to be called LIME but now it is FLOW.
    An alternative meaning of 'to lime' here is to chill out, and kick back - Lime should be good for limin', especially when summer returns.
    I am pleased to see that you have a 'proper' foredeck, rather than the canopy over the bow cockpit on the Binliner.

BlueBell likes this.
  9. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

10. BlueBell

Might be Canaventure with two "a".
    Try that.

This is the first picture I'm seeing of her....
    Gunna check out the video now.

11. BlueBell

Gotta love a 2-stroke!
    Oiler's been disconnected, mixed gas.
    Weather looks good/okay.
    Looks like she needs dock lines.

DogCavalry likes this.
  12. cracked_ribs

cracked_ribs Senior Member

Loads of power in the motor, that's for sure. Gets up and goes. I didn't want to sit her on the pins for too long but I got 28.9 knots out of her in a light chop.

Engine very smooth in the powerband. Floats level, so while you never know what the story is with a used boat, she hasn't got a hundred gallons of water under the sole on one side or anything. Transom very strong. No obvious soft spots in the sole. She's not going to win any beauty contests (although the gel coat is so thick you could probably sand her smooth and buff her if you had a mind to) but the motor and controls all seem to work well. Jumps on plane instantly, that's for sure. I think it'll work well for a low cost runabout, particularly in the area your place is with relatively sheltered waters.

Like most used boats, someone has hacked around in the wiring and when you start poking around there's plenty of little quirks but for the money I don't think you could find a better core hull and motor combo for what you want to do, really.

I was amazed how quick she was. That motor is not missing any beats at cruising speed, it gets up and walks. I didn't think it'd be as quick as it is.

Anyway assuming the weather cooperates, she's coming over in the morning, that's the real job. I am just doing the setup to give Bluebell the best shot at a stress-free crossing.

BlueBell, bajansailor and DogCavalry like this.
  13. cracked_ribs

Delivery underway

Attached Files:

BlueBell likes this.
  14. bajansailor

I hope that it was a routine, (mundane even), delivery, and that @BlueBell has arrived safely.

BlueBell likes this.

15. cracked_ribs

He did text me from under the second narrows bridge, so the majority of the delivery was definitely successful.

BlueBell likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.