Saving Hermann Göring's "CARIN II"

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Metronicity, May 1, 2008.

1. Metronicity

Metronicity Junior Member

Built Germany 1937. 90 ft long oak and teak double diagonal planked, twin Mercedes-benz diesels (1983). Hull sound. Needs a lot of work. Presently lying in the Red Sea, Egypt. Not immediatedly seaworthy - shafts have been deliberatedly cut, hatches are sprung etc. Anyone interested in saving this old girl? Has quite a history. British Royals used it after the war as a pleasure boat. Read the full story here and tell me what you think. http://www.welcometowallyworld.com/frontpage/2008/4/26/hitlers-diary-hermann-goerings-yacht.html

1 person likes this.
  2. murdomack

murdomack New Member

It's Nazi memorabilia. Nice boat, Royals or whatever else it has going for it does not change that. All I can think of is a torpedo.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

want save this?
    Hitler, he only had one ball
    Goring had two but very small
    Himmler , had something simlar
    But poor old Gobbels had no balls at all

4. Paulo.AS

Paulo.AS Junior Member

A torpedo is way too fast. First chop it down, then burn it ,then dance over the ashes and may Göring burn in hell forever!

5. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Hey guys
    Like Veitnam is a place not a war
    Carin II is a yacht not the owner

Give us a break and ah ...get a life

1 person likes this.
  6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The title is all wrong that is why there was such a major upheaval when this post was on before, it virtually turned into world war 3, some folks are obviuosly not happy with this concept. The title should read

Restore Boat ex WW2
    Was professionally built, unfortunately had a **** owner = Goring, but the VW beetle also originated from the same era.

It is a boat, if a private individual wants to spend his money on it for a "boats sake" let him, however please ensure that it doesnt get any "extra publicity"

These old things are not really worth it anyway, not really a "special design"

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Basis our family experiences caused by ze Germans over 2 world wars, I would happily torch that boat.

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Strange how a hatred of Nazis becomes a hatred of the inanimate objects they owned.
    WW II ended over fifty years ago, and soon we'll reach the century mark since WW I.
    Hatred is first passed on from father to son, and again to the following generation. Then the hatred is expanded to include items owned by the original object of hatred.
    As if there was some value in continuing to throw stones at a corpse.
    Of those beloved forfathers who were injured, many looked away while blacks were sent to the back of the bus, or worse, lynched without a trial. They also did nothing when Irish were refused jobs, or Jews mistreated in their own country. A lot of those heroes had ideas most of us would be ashamed to share.
    America was dragged, kicking and screaming, into WWII.
    And now their grandsons want to kill a boat?

A.

9. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

It's not the boat's fault. I would love to see it restored and featured somewhere in a marina. Interested people could take a look for a contribution to a fund for our fallen heroes.

People and, to a greater extent, governments can be evil...but they also can be overcome by incredibly courageous men fighting selflessly for the freedom of others.

TC
    (feels no guilt as citizen of a "shining city upon a hill")

10. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Alan, how marvellous that you are able to stand aloft and pontificate, clearly you did´nt have a grandfather shot at the Somme nor an uncle shot down flying Catalinas? Ever seen someone suffering from shellshock?

Still looking for my bl**dy matches....

11. alan white

alan white Senior Member

RHP,

You can try to turn this into an expression of your need to have an enemy, but I'll pass and not assist you. I wish you well.
    If it makes you more comfortable to think I am pontificating or that I have weak-kneed ancestors, I wish you all that your imagination can provide.
    You wsh to kill a boat because of who owned it.
    Go for it. I only said it seems strange, pointing out why.

Alan

12. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Not at all, you misunderstood my sentiment.

My point was that history is not absolved by time, not just the 2 WW´s but the equally abhorrant acts of Stalin, Pol Pot, the recent Balkans war or the on going genocide in Darfur.

Time does not and should not dim atrocities.

Hence I am bemused by a contrarian view that would wish it all away and lets go play with one of the main war criminal´s boat.

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

And there will always be people that live in the past, forever blaming so and so, this one did this and that one did that, all those terrible things. And it goes on day after day.

I for one, am so sick of having the sins of my grandfathers thrown in my face day after day, i had nothing to do with it, and yet my children and i still carry the load. South Africa will blame apartheid forever. Robert Mugabe will blame the English forever. The Jewish community now want to build a holocaust memorial in Durban South Africa. I agree teach the children history that we dont make the same mistakes again.

I was born white in South Africa, that doesnt mean that i have to tollerate the whining from every goddam religious group on earth. Without fail they ALL have got issues, and they never let up.

And i wonder - i wonder - wonder i do.

14. Paulo.AS

Paulo.AS Junior Member

To all the gentlemen on this thread:

Both sides voiced here are right in their own field. We should never forget atrocities and yet we must keep moving forward. My mother's family was slaughtered on concentration camps and still I'm not prejudicious of german people (or any nationality for that matter) simply because of that. We must use the lessons taught by history to build a better future.
    Concerning the boat itself, if it has any historical value in a NAUTICAL sense, then its OK to salvage and restore it. But doing so only because it was Goëring's boat, give me a break and let it rot.

15. Paulo.AS

Paulo.AS Junior Member

Also let´s not go down Mighettos path and transform this thread on a political battleground

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.