battery set up for thrusters

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by RJM100, Apr 30, 2009.

1. RJM100

RJM100 Boatbuilder

Hi I am installing a bow thruster and a stern thruster on a 45' power boat. there are two house battery banks with three paralleled batteries in each, each bank is rated at 1010 CCA. I was originally thinking of running the stern thruster off of one bank and the bow thruster off of the other bank but the side power thrusters spec a minimum CCA from the batteries at 1045 CCA for the bow thruster and minimum CCA for the stern thrusters at 1425. do I/can I parallel another battery onto each house bank to meet the minimum CCA that the thrusters need? does it have to be a deep cycle to match the house bank or can it be a high rated CCA cranking type? what effect will this have? I think a new bank of batteries would be the best option but the cost up front does not appeal to the boat owner. ....oh yeah and am I right to assume the CCA stamped on all these marine batteries is SAE standard, or is it DIN ?
    Thanks -Robby

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

What about running both battery sets to an equalizer that will control the correct voltage to the thrusters. I can't think your discharge load would be very heavy just docking and undocking.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.