Batteries and New Battery Technologies

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

The higher power synchronous drives are using the PMSM similar to the little one in the video.

The original DC system with the PERM-132 motor will suffer the problem of brush changes. From what I have seen this is not a simple task. For auxiliary use it may not be a particular issue.

The mid power motors are induction motors and the efficiency is a little less than the PMSM. They have a potential advantage of the magnets not becoming demagnetised but I doubt this is a problem unless the PMSM was seriously overheated.

If you use a large diameter prop you do not need much power to move a large boat at acceptable speed even into a good breeze.

The saildrives look nice and would be on my consideration list if I was building a sailing yacht.

Rick W

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

masalai

My apology, I will leave out all quotes in future. Yes, indeed they are pricy, but from what I have seen, very good. I love to know where Rick W. is getting his 600 watt motors from for USA $ 24.

Will ask him.

To come back on batteries, I probably like the NiMH development more than supercapacitors. It has basically unlimited recycling capabilities, like the super capacitors, has no fumes, no toxic substances, a higher temperature tolerance and the leakage current is low. Also the space and weight are less than a lead acid battery, but larger and higher than the super capacitors. Lets push the Obama administration for faster results. Also in a short circuit situation, the internal fuse may help to stay alive on a boat in a seawater spillage. I don't know whether all battery nmanufacturers will build a fuse in all batteries, time will learn.

Bert

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Bert
    That is a little motor. I will be using it on one of my fast hulls.

You can get quite powerful ones for low prices like this:
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...TGY_AerodriveXp_SK_Series_63-74_170Kv_/_3250W
    You will see this one is 3.2kW and is USD70. You would not run it continuously at this unless it had forced cooling. I expect half rating would be OK.

A suitable controller is costs USD30:
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...1&Product_Name=Hobbyking_SS_Series_85-95A_ESC
    It will not get the the full motor rated power but it will get the continuous rating. You can get more expensive controllers that will get the full motor rating.

For more serious stuff I have been playing with Mars 3001 motors. I have two of the PMSM motors from here:
    https://www.kellycontroller.com/shop/?mod=cat&cat_id=51,52
    These are nice motors. They are rated at 4.5kW on 48V and can give burst power to 9kW. This is a clip of a Mars motor running up:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/at...cal-motor-maths-25hp-8hp-mars_pmsm_run-up.wmv

I made an outboard with one of these and tested on 2 small 12V batteries:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/at...288392-electric-boat-data-drive_leg_test1.wmv

Both are reasonably large files so take a while to load.

I think these PMSM motors are fantastic but the Mars motor have field sensors for fine speed control and this is a waste on marine applications. I am yet to try the Mars motor on a controller without field tracking. They must work on power factor to the motor I guess. I know that once they get a few revs they develop reliable torque without breaking down.

Rick W

4. masalai

masalai masalai

BertKu,
    batteries for me at present are spiral wound AGM yellow-top from ??? cant remember, but I wrote it down somewhere... :D:D - I feel are more robust and reliable so long as they are recharged before using half rated capacity to ensure longevity as electric motors are a heavy load for the lead acid format but to consider anything else for the present is almost millionaire domain....

Always put fuzes almost everywhere, to protect wiring, and all other components...

5. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Motors

Thanks Rick for the information
    I need some smaller motors for another application. I am making also wireless electronic timers and large displays for the Horse showjumping sport. The small motors you mentiond could be the right one for this aplication.
    The local suppliers for small motors are very pricy, your info is thus appreciated.
    Bert

6. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

It appears that you are using dry sealed lead acid batteries. You are right, as soon you deep charge this type of battery too often, the lifetime of the battery will be reduced drastically. I use the smaller 7 Amperhour dry sealed lead acid batteries and keep them at 13.8 Volt trickle charged. Some of them are now 8 years old and still holding the charge well. Most boats have their batteries not properly kept fully charged and therefore after 2 to 3 years have to be replaced. By just keeping them fully trickle charged with a simple small solar cell panel or small wind vane and a 2N3005, 2 x 1N4007 , a 5 ampere diode with a 15 Volt regulator will make boat batteries last longer. The cost is low, about 3 dollars, but one needs some knowledge to put it together.

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

BertKu, I think you mean 2N3055....

8. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

2n3055

Yes CDK, you are correct. Slip of the fingers. (and a setting by microsoft on my keyboard I haven't been able to figure out why often characters are being swapped.)
    Bert

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

RE: post 151 Role Models?????
    Yes, yes, a role model of a crack-head, Marxist radical from Kenya or Indonesia (no one knows which), mentored by and endorsing the philosophy of a nexus of anti-white racists, anti-semites especially, terrorists and Chicago thugs who went from community organizer to marrying Stokely Carmichael-in-a-designer-dress and running the nation, nay, world, into South-Side Chicago.
    Another racist, Sotomayor, I actually don't have that much of a problem with as she is likely the least liberal of the justices we are going to see on Hope/Change's watch (How did the Supreme Court go from "interpreting the Constitution" to "empathizing with others and emparting one's life experiences, tempered by the world's view of what it thinks we should be like" anyway?) . After all, we could have got another Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I had no idea that when I took a peek at this thread, too, you people would be spewing your political ********, but dang, as was posted a ways back - we don't learn.
    6a00d83451af9f69e201156ff04d0e970c-500wi.jpg
    "Werd up, batteries iz fo' crack-lighters
    Don' make me come over there *****!"

10. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Could anybody provide this person with some addresses for some Mental institutions. I have absolute no clue what the above has to do with batteries and electric motors
    Bert

11. mark775

mark775 Guest

Hey, ya knucklehead - That's exactly my battle. When people introduce their political views into a thread that should have no room for them - I try to make it sting a little. I, personally, would like to see the Boatdesign forum address things like, um...I don't know...Boat Design? (It looks like you're from one of the first locales to make the transformation to South-Side Chicago. I, on the other hand, still have a stake in knocking the jibber jabber down lest innocents believe that there is nobody from the conservative camp remaining, yet NEVER get into politics until someone else does.
    Ernie

12. mark775

mark775 Guest

Not only that, if that didn't make you smile, you must still be mad that you don't have a Barack to take care of you. (Oh, that's right! You do - Madiba! How are things workin' out down there since he fixed everything?)

13. masalai

masalai masalai

14. mark775

mark775 Guest

Please see post 176.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

mark775, There ARE threads to meet your aspirations and needs already - or else, you can start your own thread in the appropriate sub-category, and post your thoughts and research there to your hearts content...

Let others discuss areas of interest to them - land of espousing free speech has it enshrined in their constitution but often denies it to others... Boating encompasses a diverse range of interests, pick that which interests you and leave the other stuff alone, there is plenty of space and a good indexing/search function to find almost anything... within or outside of boatdesign.net....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.