beefing up a transom

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by chetc, Apr 1, 2020.

1. chetc

chetc Junior Member

I have an 14ft aluminum boat. It needed a little beefing up on the outside. I cut an 1/4" thick aluminum plate 9"x 14" and secured it to the transom where the outboard goes. I used stainless bolts. Question I have is I used a product called liquid nails fuze it on the surface before I secured the plate, tightened the bolts, and what ever oozed out I wiped clean. Has anyone used this product for a similar application? Is it waterproof if it's partially below the waterline?

chet

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The only thing I'd be a little concerned about is moisture that might get trapped between the surfaces, more often than not causes corrosion issues, which are regrettable if it is the hull rather than the plate that gets attacked.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member

• Flexible & shock absorbing
    • Works on wet surfaces
    Recommended For:
    fabric, wood, metal, leather,

NOT Recommended For:
    sheet goods, wood flooring, aquariums or other underwater applications.

At least it is flexible to withstand the flex of the transom and hence the temperature expansion but not recommended for underwater use.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Do you leave this boat in the water all the time, or just when in use?

There’s a big difference in what’s required for an adhesive to hold up in constant immersion compared to occasional immersion.

5. chetc

chetc Junior Member

sir
    the boat will be used for a few hrs at a time maybe 10 times a year, i do take it home when done.

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Don’t worry about the adhesive then, it will be fine.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Quite often alloy pods pulled off boats, reveal nasty corrosion on the hidden surface, poultice corrosion is a real problem, proper painting of the mated surfaces will prevent it.

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.