bathing platform design ?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by grpqueen, Jul 12, 2010.

1. grpqueen

grpqueen Junior Member

I am building a motor cruiser, I have not built the transom on the boat yet.
    I want to build the bording/bathing platform as part of the boat not as an after thought.
    If anyone has designs , pics, drawing or any relevant information you think would be useful and would like to share, I would be very interested.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Current motor cruiser fashion is to make no transom at all, but extend the floor to make a bathing platform. The part of the floor inside the boat is attached to the platform with hinges and can be lifted by linear motors or hydraulic cylinders. The bench and storage compartment that forms the barrier against the sea is screwed to the floor and tilt with it.

That gives unlimited access to the engine bay and anything in it. That there is a walkway between the bench and one side of the boat, where a following sea can wet the carpet seems no concern nowadays.

Look at Bavaria motor cruisers.

3. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG]
    here is a pic from yamaha that may give some inspiration
    imagine seats, sweet water, a door, step, vertical sliding floor eh..
    must offcourse all be in size and style with your boat
    if you show a pic i dont mind doing some drawings

you could offcourse consider going modular on that stern too :D
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. grpqueen

grpqueen Junior Member

hello yipster. thankyou for your pics and thank you for you offer but unfortunatly my boat is still in the mould at present, so it would be hard to take a photo that would show her true shape, she is 12.5 m long 4 m wide midships, tappering to 3.5 m at the stern , has no aft cabin , but has a rear deck 2 m long by 3.5 m wide with a nice gently curving transome with a cental door leading to what will be the bathing platform. if it is posible i would be very interested to see your drawings. grp

5. yipster

yipster designer

thx for the reply, i was in SPA belgium for a break and only see your message now grpqueen
    surprisingly there's not very much input on your request while its one of the more pleasurable area's on on boat

thats a good sized boat you build, leaving space to design a nice platform, is it a fast expres cruiser, passagemaker or..
    can you post me or here some drawings to start sketching some stern ideas from?

in addition to above named, sweet water shower, fold down ladder, curtesy and underwater lights, garagebox,
    walpower hookup, plank etc can be thought of in a open or closed set up

like to see some drawings or foto's, mold pic is ok as well first, but yeah, i like platforms and thinking ahead

a smaller open boat curtesy lights -i dont like the blue- all the way up sample

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.