bateau style calculations

Discussion in 'Stability' started by fishon91, Jan 28, 2010.

1. fishon91

fishon91 Junior Member

i have no clue how you guys do your calculations to figure out exact stability, and, just to save lots of confusion, please don't teach me over the internet.
    but i would like to know what you guys think about this style of boat:
    http://www.mudmotortalk.com/mmt_v2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6445&p=66138&hilit=bateau#p66138
    i'm thinking about sellin the hull i've got now to help in paying to build a new hull. this would be the first time i built a hull before. it doesn't plane out good because of the weight of the desk i put in front, and is only 3' wide so not very stable
    i'd like top build this boat for my 11hp mud motor(homebuilt), i like this style becuase i believe i can make it 4' wide at transom, and when its on plane there won;t be much of the boat in the water, so there's less resistance. i also like the pointed hull. i'm just wondering will it be very stable as it is? will putting podshttp://www.explorebeavertail.com/flotationpods.html on it be a bas idea, i don;t see any reason why it would be.

with the ideas i've got now, this could be a fantastic boat for my small motor, just wanting to know what you all think.

:p

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It looks fine. Stability goes down as center of gravity goes up. Keep weight low and there should be no problem.

3. fishon91

fishon91 Junior Member

what do you mean by go up? higher altitude? or up to bow? sorry that may be dumb question.....

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Higher altitude. Like a corvette can swing through a fast turn more stabile than a semi-truck with a full load.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.