URGENT - Need Help With Farrier Type Mold/Form Infusion

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CatBuilder, Nov 23, 2011.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I am building my boat in a form that looks like the form you see on the right in this picture:

[​IMG]

When using this type of mold/form, you start by heat bending and laying up the Core Cell directly on the mold. It is held in place with screws from the top side (to achieve the curve), then held in place with more screws through all the battens on the mold and into the backside of the foam. The first screws, that were used to get the shape, from the front of the mold are then removed, leaving many small holes in the foam. These holes are filled up with epoxy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, you seal off all the cracks between the foam with more bog (thickened epoxy). Like this picture, except they are showing wood in this picture. You fill the cracks like this between the foam sheets on the mold/form:

[​IMG]

Next, you sand everything fair and put your laminates in place, then peel ply, then flow media, then a vacuum bag. You then pull epoxy through for an infusion.

[​IMG]

BUT... I'm having a problem! :(

Some of my foam is quite close to the sheet next to it, so that I cannot get any of the epoxy/bog down into the microscopic crack!

This means that when I pull a vacuum on the top side of the foam core, I will surely have a leak through the core from the underside. :eek:

I have gone over the seams with neat epoxy, but when I go to sand that down fair again, I will end up with the possibility of leaks.

What has anyone done in this case?? :confused:

How can I make sure I have an air tight seal on my core when I have the smallest of tiny gaps between the foam sheets that are too small to even take any bog? :confused::confused:

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Just like that - it's solved. You use a router to route out the seam and fill with bog.

Please disregard message. I posted a follow up for others who may have a similar question.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.