Bass boat to bay boat??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by nanoskiff94, May 24, 2016.

1. nanoskiff94

nanoskiff94 New Member

Hello! I am new to the forum and this is my first post... I have a 1984 pro craft bass boat that I am in the process of restoring. The floor, stringers and transom all need to be replaced. I currently have the cap off of the boat, but I have put the project on hold until I finish the build of my nano poling skiff. I enjoy salt water fishing much more than bass fishing, so I have been thinking about turning the pro craft into a "bay boat". I was thinking about doing away with the top cap, and making a deck glassed in flush to the top of the hull along with adding wide gunnels and a center console. I wanted opinions on using this bass boat hull to make a bay boat. The boat will be used for inshore fishing only, but I am still unsure if the shallow hull will be okay to use for this purpose.

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

In a word, nope, don't even think about it any more. That bass boat has many attributes that make it a good shallow water fisher/skier, but these same attributes make it a very poor bay or semi protected waters boat.

3. nanoskiff94

nanoskiff94 New Member

Thanks for the quick response PAR. I saw a post on another forum a while back about a guy who did something similar to an old bass boat, but he was going for more of a flats boat. I considered that idea, but figured the 115 mercury I have would make the boat too heavy to pole and cause the boat to not sit level in the water. Would making it a "flats boat" be out of the picture as well?

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There's not much difference with a flats boat, compaired to a fish and ski, like yours. They're both shallow deadrise, fat and relatively short. The fish/ski usually has more power, to snatch up several fat teenagers on a tube, but that's about it. Flats boats tend to be lighter and skinnier, so they're easier to pole around, but with modern trolling motors, not as much of a problem now.

If you want to go into deeper, less protected waters, you'll need more freeboard and steeper deadrise. You'll also want a boat that's not quite as fat, so the ride is easier in a chop. It's not that you can't do this, but that it's just not well suited. Your boat in anything more than a modest chop will pound pretty good, with waves coming over the bow, etc. A skilled skipper can handle this, knowing the limitations of the boat, but the average guy could find himself in a world of hurt in certain sea state condisions.

I don't know where you are, but down here, we lose a few skippers and crew each year in boats like that, trying to take on too much water, chassing a fish. Summer storms can rise up in minutes, turning a perfect day into a death match with mother nature. Simply put, your boat has about 18" of freeboard, so you need to stay in places where wave heights are no more than 1/2 this. A 2' chop isn't much, but tall enough to climb right over the rail on your boat.

5. nanoskiff94

nanoskiff94 New Member

Thanks again for all of the information. I will be using the boat in SC and NC ICW and inlets. If it would be too dangerous in these areas, I will continue to restore the boat to factory. I really want a boat that has a center console and would be a good setup to fish the icw and the waters behind oak island NC, and murrles inlet in SC.

6. nanoskiff94

nanoskiff94 New Member

Will this hull be okay to make a center console out of for fishing in the inlet and ICW in South Carolina and North Carolina??

7. lake pirate rrr

lake pirate rrr Junior Member

methinks no .. skip says unless ye like hammerheads keep it n fresh water ..

ye an olde thread .. but i just sayin'