Basket case help

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Mitchell, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Mitchell

Mitchell Junior Member

The center carry-throughs has some major gouges in the wood, some half the depth of the board itslef, so I plan on removing them tomorrow. I dont like the idea of folding amas for some reason. What I have thought of to make them removable is a simple box structure. Center section would be 3 layers same as the original but center board would be wrapped in carbon fiber and removable, slide in and out, and act as a spar. My question is how far would the carbon fiber need to extend on the center board? In my building of 3d aerobatic capable model aircraft your main stress load is at the center section of the wing not the wingtips. In my way of thinking the same should apply to this application.

Simplistic drawing of idea attached red center section would be removable spar.

Attached Files:

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Hope I understand this correctly. Build the box in 2 pieces and glass the insides before putting the 2 sides together with epoxy and screws.

3. Mitchell

Mitchell Junior Member

The box will be constructed of spruce. Center crossmembers will be 8 feet in length. The top and bottom boards of the box will be epoxy joined 1 x 4's. Then 1 x 6's for the sides epoxied and screwed for final assembly then fiberglass wrapped. Outer 3' 6" section built same way. Center spar's will be full 15' length again 2 board laminate

Attached Files:

4. Mitchell

Mitchell Junior Member

Slow progress but progress. About 3/4 completed on the new center spar box. Probably a bit overkill but sturdy. The main spar needs to be dressed a bit more so it will be a snug fit in the boxes. I gained 1/2" in heigth compared to the old crossmembers which means that I will have to raise the rear deck section to accomodate the increase but this isnt a big issue since the section is only about 42" x 27".

With the weight of the amas and new boxes now searching for a way to hinge the assembly. Again open to suggestions.

I routed out a lip in the openings of the deck so that covers could be made and dropped in place. With the floor as it was it would be my luck to accidently step off in one of the openings and break an ankle.

Attached Files:

5. zigzag

zigzag Junior Member

I think nugget plans are in the files at small trimarans forum

6. zigzag

zigzag Junior Member

Correction , Piver plans on Classic Multihulls in files

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.