Freeship question

Discussion in 'Software' started by jim lee, Oct 15, 2007.

1. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

So I d-loaded freeship. What a cool program!

I've a problem. The boat I'd working on has a flat transom. How can I line up multiple (edge) points on a plane?

Thanks!

-jim lee

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Jim
    I am not 100% clear on what you are trying to do. I expect you want to create a flat angled transom.

I am not an expert with Freeship so this may not be the best way but it will work.

Select the whole boat and rotate it around a transverse axis by the angle of your transom off the vertical. Insert a new transverse plane in line with the top edge of the transom. This plane will give points and lines at the intersection of the existing edges. Crease the new edges as these will form the new angled transom. Delete the old edges behind the new transom. Finally select the whole boat again and rotate back to the level position.

Does this solve your problem?

If you have not already found it out, it is usefull to know that the scroll wheel can be used to zoom and image and holding the right mouse button allows you to move the model over the screen. These can be very useful for looking at detail or selecting points that are close together.

Rick W.

3. Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor Junior Member

FREE!ship has a "point align" feature.

Go to the profile view and select the points on the centerline of your transom. Bring down the Point menu and select Align (in DELFTship, this feature is found under the EDIT menu).

The order in which you select the points is important, since the points will be ordered along a line between the first and last points selected.

Once the centerline is straight, use it as a guide to manually align the remaining points on the transom.

4. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

I was hoping that the "Align on a line" feature would possibly only change x & Z coordinates when on profile view. But it alingned everything and my transom became a line. Whoops!

What I've ended up doing is to set the angle by moving the top and bottom points, then zooming in realy close to manually set the edge points in line. I was hoping for a way around that.

-jim lee

5. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

Version 3.2 of DELFTship will do just that. Expected release date is early (first week) November.

6. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Martijn, I've been looking at your DELFTship. Let me give you my list of "wants"

1) I have a large format printer. I'd LOVE to be able to print out different views, full scale. The boat I'm working on now is small enough to do this if I could chop up the printout. And please, no scaled bit images.

2) A table of offsets for hand lofting larger boats. Maybe it has this, but I've read the entire manual (although quickly) and I've not been able to find it.

Are these ideas out of line? Or perhaps they already are in there and I'm just not seeing them?

Thanks!

-jim lee

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.