removing skeg

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tom4660, Jan 19, 2006.

1. tom4660

tom4660 Junior Member

I turned a 32ft pacemaker sedan into an outboard center console.Economy is good ride is ok but in a crosscurrent the boat feels spooky like the keel is being pushed by the current.Can i cut it off or will it ruin the integredy of the hull.I was thinking of leaving 2 to3 inches

Attached Files:

2. trouty

trouty Guest

I am totally 100% unqualified to say this

but if it were me I'd cut it off! (well OK - I'd leave the 2 inches and round it with a router!).

You really don't want such a keel feeding aerated water down the low pressure side of the keel in a turn, and preventing the hulkl from side slipping slightly to allow the outboard vectored thrust to turn the vessel...

Theres a difference here between turning the vessel with a fixed direction of thrust from a inboard engine and prop shaft, via it's rudder - and a vectored thrust turn indiced from a turned outboard lower unit.(in my opinion).

I believe - one is the opposite of the other.....

I can't see a boat with such a keel performing much good in tight turns with an outboard...

Someone however- who is more knowlegeable than I may well correct me.

Looks like it will be an awesome fishing machine.

What on earth do you power a 32 ft centre console hull like that with? 4 x 250 Hp verado supercharged OB's? :D :cool: :cool:

Ohhh yeah baby - come to poppa!

Hmmm - hope you have shares in texaco!

Cheers!

3. tom4660

tom4660 Junior Member

peformance

cruises 27mph at 3800rpm and gets 1.5mpg on average.If its rough i put the bow down which hurts economy.

4. atahawaii

atahawaii Naval Architect, P. E.

5. tom4660

tom4660 Junior Member

stability

would the keel keep the boat from broaching in a following sea?IM more confused now than before.The boat is ok at 18 but at twenty in a cross sea it gets squirrellyyyy.I spaced the outboards far apart for quick steering while working a fish.Could this cause one to slip more by depth of prop changes while the boat gets tossed around?It doesent ventelate or cavatate?Just wants to turn on its own without moving the wheel.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.