Scantling drawing

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Adeyele, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Adeyele

Adeyele Junior Member

Helo all,

Can anyone help me with a sample sketch of midship section drawing for small craft?

Am about to draw midship section of small craft so I need a guide on how to do this.

Anyone that can help me with any material is highly welcomed.

Cheers
    Mike.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Do it over a grid so that you can immediately assess whether the below-water cross section is correct. The underwater area is determined by a calculation based on the target displacement. The actual shape varies depending on a lot of factors. The designer would normally have a good idea what the target shape should be based on experience with all different types of boats with various displacements.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The question should be how have you arrived at the midship section you are about to draw. Knowing what type of craft you're attempting, it's general hydros you're attempting to hit, performance level, target Cp, etc. would all be relevant, in terms of the section you select.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Just check the design sections on this website and you will find plenty of examples.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, plenty of examples, but which to choose.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

As I do not know exactly what you need, I include two examples of boats, GRP and aluminum.
    These are the drawings, which are based on a series of calculations that are not reflected in the plans.
    For more information, please, e.mail me : 657677483@orange.es

Attached Files:

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

What YOU need is what matters. You may only have an idea of what you want---- a certain length boat that suits your needs. It could be light or heavy, round bottom or hard-chined. You decide what you want and then someone could assist you in creating a midsection that would be matched to your target hull size and type.
    You are starting, in other words, with the displacement (this applies to what are known as displacement or non-planing hull types). Then you draw a midsection that has an area that yields a particular displacement when multiplied by waterline length and beam times (usu.) .55 times the weight of water per cu ft. Water weighs about 63 lbs per cu ft.
    It sounds complicated but it's actually very simple and it's the first step in drawing the midsection.