Basalt materials !!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Herman

Herman Senior Member

2. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Par- You mean Mechanical Properties?

Here it is from Wiki. I was able to open their website, an Ukrainian company (www.basaltfm.com) but the characters looks Russian. Maybe Alik can translate.:p

Slightly heavier than E glass but much stronger. I don't know about the cost if it was as supposed to be much cheaper than glass. I first noticed it in JEC composites magazine and keeps cropping up every now and then.

If it is high temperature, then might be good for fire resistant bulkheads coupled with phenolic resin. Phenolic resin when burned produces a carbon surface which increases resistance to fire/heat.

And yes, it is the volcanic rock by Isomatex. It is in Namur, Waloon Region. Europe probably, not US as I have said.

Tunnels, check out the manufacturer in Chengdu, China.

Attached Files:

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Like i said the Shanghai composite show last year had lots places peddling the stuff this year Found just one place and all he had was like brown cotton wool for insulation thats all . Ive looked quite a few places cant find any one with fabric woven seems to be the only thing . Im interested in all the other's unidirectionals , double bias ,0/90 stitched , triaxle , not so much Quad but could be interesting all the same . :) Just have to keep searching . probably some where finding it will take time . !!
    Thank you :)

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Anyone care to update this thread ?

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

6. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I found:

"...basalt/epoxy sample's strength tested 13.7 percent higher than that of the E-glass sample and exhibited 17.5 percent greater stiffness, although the basalt sample was 3.6 percent heavier than the E-glass sample."

7. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

I would like to hear from people who have used it and in what kind of lay up.
    Did the material meet their expectations for it's claimed properties ?
    It has been touted as a being roughly equivalent to Sglass but doesn't seem to have taken off in general use so I was wondering if there was a down side that is holding it back ?
    It would appear to be a reasonably priced yet a good performer and yet it languishes ?