Barnacle Prevention

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by JamesG, Nov 7, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yeah brian,

sarcasm does´nt travel well on this forum..........:idea:

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Yes it's Dutch and I read it for you. It is a magazine clipping telling the story of a guy who experimented with the system. Scientific content is next to nothing, translation would just waste my time.

Numerous posts on this forum have been written about stray current damaging props, shafts and hulls. And now these guys want you to "invest" $1000 in a black box and two anodes that you are supposed to hang in the water.

Use paint. It doesn't work nearly as good as the sellers want you to believe, but at least it doesn't dissolve your boat.

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Drydock.

Also referred to as a trailer...

-Tom

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

BrightSpark seems to work fine and not only for recreational boating.
    I've meet with the guys at METS.
    Investing around 1500 euros (one set plus two spare anodes) is said to protect against fouling a 15 m boat for three years, thus saving an interesting sum of money in drydocking and paint, if statement is truth.
    I've ordered one set and I'm going to try it in my boat. I'll post here whatever results from the test.
    Cheers.

5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

That wasn't meant to be a scarcastic remark. Do you just have some sort of problem with some of my submissions to this forum??...or maybe you just carry around this 'attitude' ??

6. Submarine Tom

Or maybe BOTH Brian!

-Tom

7. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Please do post your results with this system. It is very important for me to know if it works or not.

Thanks!
    James

8. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Thanks for reading that for me. I think it still might be a good product for me if it works since painting my 'hull' would not be an option. (its a weird design) even if it corrodes my props it might still be worth it... as long as it actually keeps the barnacles from forming.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

I think it is called colloquially, "faith healing"... It only works if and when you believe it works...

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Have barnacles just started to attach themselves to boats then? because they have been doing it round here for a long time.

The Chemist in Pinang said to me that mixing TBT with any paint would be then an antifoul. This is not true and does not work, I tried it, it may work if you were to use some porous paint such as red lead.

Last year I had bits of wood hanging off the dock for months trying out all sorts of old wifes tales. Mixing 10% 20% or 50% TBT with a cheap anti foul does nothing. It was a very exiting experiment until a dick headed Canadian police man let it go to the bottom, --no I don't now why,--- it was above his mental grasp I suppose that some one should want to learn something.

If this electric machine goes wrong, you will have a blob of bronze on the end of your shaft where the propeller was last seen.

If your into way out gadgets and electronic impulses,-- you may want to try playing very loud Rolph Harris records at them, alternatively its paint or scraping like the rest of us.

11. farjoe

farjoe Senior Member

Is putting a "sock" on the bottom of your boat whilst moored a possible solution?

I know that this is not applicable for all boats but for small multihulls with lifting daggerboards and rudders it can be fairly easily be deployed.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I put a sock on my props, yes it works well.

13. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

That's a great idea! Does ANY sea life grow beneath the sock? Does it need to be a tight mesh? Do you know how it works?

It seems like it might be a matter if sunlight not getting through... or maybe the food source can't get through, so no sea life can survive on the hull...or the baby barnacles can't fit through the mesh?

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Cool down....
    Maybe MY comment (which you quoted) was meant to be sarcastic???

15. Submarine Tom

Well now that is a third option I had never considered...

You guys certainly keep me on my toes!

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.