Barnacle Prevention

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by JamesG, Nov 7, 2009.

1. JfKSailor

JfKSailor New Member

Hi there!
    I'm new on this forum and also i recently bought a 34 ' oceanis beneteau.
    I have the same questions about the antifoulling systems that you have.
    I look for ultrasound systems because i'm a bit afraid of this systems with electrical courrent on the water on the dock.
    The problem is that all ultrasound systems needs to be installed inside the hull fixed by epoxi. I'm bit afraid of this because i don't want to touch the hull.
    I found a system developed by a company in spain who work in the same harbor as me, puerto sherry in cádiz. they told me about a product for antifoulling and after some talking i gave my mail and they sent me that:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2zZJtTMK4WkMW5CVzNsSzMtbjQ&usp=sharing

they told me that they are about to start selling that and if i want to by i would have a 10% because of first customers. Any way i would like to know your opinion about that because it seems that works but it is a bit of money and i want to be sure.
    what's your opinion?

1 person likes this.
  2. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

barnacle antifouling

Hi JFK,
    what is the name of the spanish company ? i cant access google drive.
    West Marine came up with a new antifouling paint. I had in mind the interlux for my next project. My next project will be a 60 ft catamaran , wood/epoxy and some corecell/carb./glass. I look at keeping the cat out of the water quite a bit, so i will need a system that can be in fresh & salted waters , in & out of water. I will look at the spanish system and see if it makes sence.
    Beneteau is one of my favorite companies, congradulations.
    You may want to check your ipad possibilities for nav. apps. .
    Cheers
    Mike

3. JfKSailor

JfKSailor New Member

Hi yellowcat,
    The company is "Toscano".In the google drive there are two file for his product but they dont have any info on the web. i enclosed it any way. talking with the technician of that company they are just about to start with it. The boat Hispania is in the same harbor as me so well... it is clean and AWESOME!. it is an auric ironworks sailboat and looks like the most beautiful thing in eatrh. what i saw is that this boat is always on dock but it is more clean as mine, and I try to go sail every week. I mean, thats for what i'm thinking on by one of these but it is almost 1800 euro so i wanted to know how all this ultrasound stuff works in general and if there are similar and how much they are. if it works as well as in the hispania sure it worth but... it is my money.
    I saw some apps for ipad. Navionics seems to be cool and also may looks better than my netbook at the helm, placed on the worst way ever.

Attached Files:

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Isailor for Ipad is the best charting system I know of. I also have Navionics...its junk...you will loose your boat or get killed...too many serious errors.

I have no experience with anti barnacle gizmos. Traditional antifoul works well. International TriLux is what I use.

For boats that are hauled each year I have seen good results on sailing hulls... 10m charter boats..coated with " Copper coat ". Its copper powder in epoxy. One treatment is said to last several years. The charter boats are more than 5 years old and look pretty good when hauled.

5. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

Hi JFK
    I looked at the Dumo algacleaner. This is an interesting idea for it is outside the hull.
    Hence no irreversible work on the hull. For me, i have very very sensitive hearing , and i like the outside of the boat gizmo. This works with power, it stops when power stops, so for me i am looking at the new copper free stuff , go to west marine.com, and check it out.
    They sell at 219 us$/gal covering 400 ft2. I was going to use the Interlux hard antifouling. Even with an ultrasonic system, i would still use a hard anti-fouling paint.
    The question now is how do you hide this Dumo system from jealous minds ... ? will it get full of fouling on the gizmo ?
    I like the look of that Hispania , it looks like a sail boat we have on our lake. I like the old AC racers look. But now i am a cat fan.
    I'll get back to you on the ipad navigation apps. But you may want to check the Bad Elf GPS Pro. (bad-elf.com) . I have an emergency at the office...

6. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

check that site www.i-marineapps.blogspot.ca/p/best-marine-charting-apps.html
    Inavx for ipad, a very commonly used app. Isailor is on the list too.
    I still have my paper charts, and i know the areas i sail into, but eventually i'll get one of those. My iphone is getting old ... my wife has an android samsung, i wonder ...
    An iphone app that would work as an ultrasonic anti-fouling, that would be a nobel price nominee ...

7. michael pierzga

In the US you have good access to excellent Noaa chart data. Any program that uses this data will be accceptable. The Canadian Program...I cant remember its name...is often prefered because it included features like AIS, GRIB file weather , a simple weather routing program and reads different chart formats.

Once you leave the North America region navigation charts become problematic. Isailor are the Russian Transas Marine digital charts. These are professional grade, frequently updated and cover a wide geography .

British Admirality digital charts from Imray are limited and not up to date

Dont even waste your time with Navioncs.

As for marine growth...I wouldnt put to sea on a boat that hadnt been recently hauled , serviced and surveyed. This means every year.
    During this haul out its simple to refresh antifouling.

Electronic gizmos that lead you to believe that you can skip this vital yearly seamanship routine are counter productive .

8. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

9. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

thank you for the infos on the Ipad/phone nav apps. .
    I agree that a good "green" AF paint is the way to go. The ultrasonic can be an extra protection for stuff such as an in ocean/lake pool, or raft that we are in contact all the time. Might even prevent growth on me ... get the murmaids off my back ...
    i hear that heat is good against barnacles the crustacians dont like heat. In the great lakes, i heard that zebras didn't stick where water was warmer, i dont know at what temperature. But if one can solar heat water enclosed into a blader covering the hull, not only the AF paint would less spread out (safer for environment and us) , but i can reduce the salt content. No thru hulls permitted ... unless.

10. michael pierzga

Locally a few of the high speed motorboats with trim tabs and Arneson drives use sonic barnacle busters to keep their stern gear clean. Stern gear normally fouls fast because of sunlight and poor adhesion to the metal surfaces. They speak highly of their barnacle busters .

These units, transducers ?, are bolted to the dock and face the yachts stern. Occasionally they get stolen

11. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

i can see the theft problem, we had that problem with all our seadoos and 9.9 hp , they simply wouldn't last more than a month. One of the seadoo ended up at the owners' brother neighbor at another lake. They knew it because they were the manufacturer of the cab, and that seadoo had a unique color mistake funny purple. Lol.
    But for the props and in lake water pool, it looks like a good idea, i can probably design a hiding encloser for the Dumo. I have not heard a health hazard on humans yet.... ? But i will probably hear it ... i'm getting used to that. I had read that the protection area can be quite large for some of these gizmos.
    Now i need to find good cheap epoxies, the cheapest so far is from New Hampshire. I have used plenty of West System, good and pricy. I need 60 gallons, some 207 for wood grain expozed. My feeling is that ultrasonic would not work well thru a 5/8" ply and epoxy hull. Another plus for Dumo. Teflon is what is use now on all 5 boats we use, i am planning to use this also on the floating pool.
    In fort Lauderdale 2012 fall boat show i saw a boat pool. I did not stop but it probably does good for the anti-fouling .

12. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Here's a thread about copper powder in epoxy . . .

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/ma...tifouling-same-ready-made-products-29831.html

Cheers,
    Angel

13. Galena

Galena New Member

Ultrasonic Antifouling

I am new to this forum and came across this thread about barnacle prevention. I own a Seahawk 36 down in South Florida. I had an ultrasonic antifouling system installed in my boat around 10 months ago. I was very skeptical about whether it would work. I used to have to dive my boat about once a month to keep the bottom clean. My props and running gear would foul and keep my turbos from spooling up. All this even with a high end antifouling paint. The waters of South Florida are pretty tough. So I waited until I had a fresh bottom paint applied and then had it installed. The company gave me a 90 day money back guarantee. So at least I had an out if it didn't work as promised. At the end of the first month I dove the boat to check on it. The bottom had a film of slime which I later determined was dead algae. It came right off when I wiped it. My main concern was with my running gear. Outside of a thin coating of slime they were fine. So far its been clear of any real growth. I'm pulling the boat in another 2 months to do some regular maintenance on it. I'll post some photos then before it's washed. The installed system cost me around $1400. So for me it's basically already paid for itself. So apparently there is an option to scrubbing a hull monthly.

14. Lister

Lister Previous Member

What is Navionics? Thanks

15. CDK

CDK retired engineer

One month after a fresh anti fouling coat all boats have an easy to remove film of slime, with or without ultrasonics. The slimy algae are not the problem, most comes off after a short trip, sometimes even after a windy night.

I've been experimenting with electronic protection systems for decades and would have marketed anything that really worked, but the results were always disappointing. Once I used low frequency transducers inside the hull and succeeded in keeping the barnacles from attaching, but the power drain was quite substantial and the stream of complaints from adjacent boat owners never stopped. It made a loud banging noise irritating people especially after dark.

If you want to know what ultrasonics can do for you, leave the depth sounder on in winter when the boat isn't used. You'll find the transducer covered with algae and or barnacles in spring!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.