Flat topping aluminum boat

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by trevormlb, Aug 27, 2009.

1. trevormlb

trevormlb New Member

I'm trying to flat top my aluminum flats boat and i had some questions about aluminum. I want to have hatches for storage and I want it to be sturdy enough to stand on. What gauge of aluminum sheet should I use if I'm riveting it together? Has anyone else tried this?

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Depends on how heavy you are and how large the hatch is...

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hi Trev,

Welcome to the forum.

You may want to provide more info on your boat to get an informed reply.

Beam, LOA, proposed deck beam spacing, etc...

Take care.

Tim

4. trevormlb

trevormlb New Member

It's a massive 12' landau skiff. I live near Sebastian Inlet, Florida and I use it mainly for the shallow flats. It has a small bow platform and then a 30" gap back to the front bench seat. So it's difficult to sight cast, watch where you are stepping, balance and keep everything organized.
    So I want to flat top it from the bench forward with hatches for a live well and storage. I am thinking about reinforcing it with 2x2 or 3x3 square Aluminum tube and I need info on distance between braces and the gauge of aluminum sheet that I should use.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.