Lcf

Discussion in 'Stability' started by hbomb8, Mar 15, 2011.

1. hbomb8

hbomb8 New Member

hi there, i am struggling with a university assignment at the moment. how do i calculate the change in LCF (it was assumed to be at amidships originally) after one of the aft, starboard compartments has been flooded? any help would be much appreciated.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

The same way it was calculated before the compartment was flooded.

The LCF is the line about which the ship trims when a weight is moved on the vessel. It is found using the first longitudinal moment of area (i.e. the intergral over the area of {x dx dy}) so that the displacement stays the same for small angles of trim.

For the damaged case like you have, you must first sink and trim the ship before you can calculate the new LCF. Are they looking for an exact answer or is this a mythical "rectangular barge"?

Edit; Just to note, the area is the effective waterplane, so the damaged compartment is excluded.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.