Barge Out of Concrete?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Hotel Lima, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

and then again there are many ferro-cement sailing boats out there sailing the seven seas;) Same design principles apply...

BTW, ever thought that the cement canoes may have positive buoyancy added as is the case with majority fibreglass canoes.

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Concrete canoes tip all the time; it's NOT THE SAME CONCRETE you see in buildings! With a specific gravity around 1, sometimes even a hair below that, concrete canoes don't sink nearly as easily as the name implies. These aren't ferrocement, they use much more sophisticated materials than that.
    Ferrocement is a perfectly good way of doing a boat.... but it's also an easy way to screw up a boat. Depends on the design and what it'll be used for.

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

That's after you reach 21 the fourth time :)...
    Then we need to go and look for the East-pole in a badly built very old poorly maintained ferro .
    Chap here did just that, His kids tried to stop him on the basis he must be nuts but the courts threw it out and off he sailed. I haven't heard anything about it since so can't say how he fared.

Cheers

5. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

There is a great deal of good data on ferro cement on this site. The Navy FC manual was PDFed and put up here, and it has hours and so on.

The issue is mainly that FC is fairly labor intense compared to steel.

6. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

I owned a ferro cement Tahitti ketch for 6 years. I loved that boat and you just couldnt hurt her. Took a hurricane to get her to hull speed though.

Cement gets harder over time, also it gets brittler ( is that a word?), however if you have reinforced correctly you should have no problems there. Maintance is 0 except for anti-fouling and standard anti-fouling paint works just fine.

On the negative side, I own a construction company in the US and cement has gone through the roof. The chinese are buing the world supply right now to finish the 3 gorges dam. I have been paying $110 a cubic yard for standard construction grade. So you might want to check your costs.

7. jkittel

jkittel Junior Member

could this make

http://www.physorg.com/news3985.html

I wonder if fiber-reinforced bendable concrete might make concrete boats and ships more popular?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.