Bare Essentials takes line honours in Geelong-Melbourne passage race

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Bare Essentials skippered by MYCV commodore Tim Peperell and Rob Reiger has taken line honours in the Geelong-Melbourne passage race which is part of the Geelong week, Festival of sails. They finished the race 3 minutes in front of the TP52 shogun.

Bare Essentials is a Tony Grainger designed Essential 8 (26ft) trimaran which has foil assist in the form of float mounted curved foils is an absolute rocket in the right conditions. Looks like they got their conditions yesterday.

In accordance with normal race and media event procedure no acknowledgement of the multihull line honours achievement has been made. No sour grapes here just want to make note that it does still happen.

Attached Files:

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====================
    Thats great but a shame there was no acknowledgement. Were they an "official" entry or did the race not allow multies?

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The race management was happy to take our club members entry money. There was an official multihull division in the passage race.

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Geelong week has scurried to introduce a Multihull Line Honours trophy to give recognition to the multihull division in the passage race. Some photos of Bare Essentials in full flight.

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Sure...thats a good way to do it. You cant let multis race in a mono fleet. Best to give them their own class and encourage multi participation.

7. Tushugars

Tushugars New Member

Surely its "first on the water"

Fact... the Geelong Race is a fleet of sail boats in conditions suited to all-comers...? The objective is get to the finish first!!

Wild Thing - Loyal... no matter who... its first to the line and thankfully good sense prevailed in Hobart this year albeit "eventually"

Look at history... sailing is all about "on the water". Isnt it time to bring some sense back to sailing.

David Barnes learned that from Denis Connor with the BIG "J" Boat KZ1 Ver, the Cat "Stars and Stripes" in San Diego... the Cat won!
    Brad Butterworth learned that against Jimmy Spithill with Oracle (Tri) again Allingi (Cat)... in the Americas Cup. and yes, the Tri won!

First boat to Geelong out of 300+ boats!
    First over the line is first over the line - no matter the hull description... so Tim Pepperell and his team on 'Bare Essentials' surely must receive credit for line honours.

To TIM and CREW, a crazy full on boat well sailed on the day - WELL DONE

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Tim and Rob wrote up the race on the MYCV Blog http://mycv-news.blogspot.com.au/. Thought I'd share it for those who are interested.

Melbourne to Geelong Race.630am and up for coffee and bacon and eggs. Everything here seems reasonably priced, food, grog and Waterfront City berthing was $45 per night. Clean towels for showering and a yachty lounge where you can relax with a cuppa watching TV in air conditioning or jump on their 2 computers or simply plug in your own.9am start and we were off on the sth. start line with the big boys. Left Waterfront City at 7.30am to give us plenty of time.There’s something about sailing out of the Yarra and looking out at all the other boats. It certainly gets the blood pumping,Having a ship as big as the Titanic coming out of the river at the same time also is a little nerve racking. That is one time I wishour trimaran was a little thinner!!

We decided to make a pin end start and try and find some clear air. The water was chopped up a lot with all the boats and our small light tri didn't like it. We footed off and headed to shore and tacked our way up to the first mark. After a minor port Starboard incident at the first mark, (like we were on starboard and they on port!!!) we settled down to chase to the second mark.It was disappointing to be approximately the 20th boat round with the first few boats already on the Horizon. We sailed along keeping pace with the 30-40 footers before the wind came in.Once we were able to foil the main hull lifted out of the water and we increase to around 15 knts which we held until we could ease sheets at channel marker 12A.

At this stage the 4 tp52's and living doll were still in front with the first 2 boats well down the leg. Now we were into the $1000000 boys and looking down the track thought they were too far in front to catch. With a steady 16-18knts blowing now, Bare Essentials was reaching a long at 18knts hitting 20knts in the gusts. We seem to pass Living Doll and the first TP52 quite quickly and suddenly dawned on me we might have a chance to be first over the line. Rob checked his GPS out and we still had 4 miles to the gate and a screaming reach up the channel after that. Well as the saying goes “No Guts No Glory” Lets go for it and see what happens.

“Put the screecher up and lets really chase these wonderful monos down” (not exact words used on the day). Libby moved to leeward and started un-clipping the screecher ready for hoisting. Just as she did, mother nature unleashed a bullet and we shot off at 20knts straight into a wave and for the first time on Bare I saw Cruisey shoot the Jib to lift the bow. Libby got wet a little I believe and I think it was a group decision that the screecher could stay exactly where it was! The “NO RUMS REQUIRED RULE’ came into play. For those of you not familiar with this rule, please see Chris sooky paints Culph from Sknot to explain.....Stay tuned for part 2.....

Melbourne to Geelong Race continued: We now only had Shogun V in front and were 200 metres from the gate, Bare foiled all the way up to their stern before the wind dropped off and we slowed to 10knts keeping pace with them. Shogun lifted to squeeze us out of the gate so we tucked in behind comforted by the fact we had the channel to come with cracked sheets. Once through the gate the wind returned, we hardened up to go around number 1 and were amazed as we foiled over the top of them and 2-3 knts quicker.

Once we entered the channel “it was showtime”. With no boats in front to get in our way, we sent The Bare to Geelong and what a ride it was up to pile 10. No screecher required and certainly No Rums Required!! One fisherman anchored just outside the channel nearly dropped his can when we went passed at 20 knts, main hull lifting out and only 5 metres away from him. By the time we rounded pile 10 Shogun was only half way down the channel and it was hard to contain the wry smile on my face.

Up we headed to the finish line, trying to find the 2 boats with a flag on top. Something serious would have to happen now for us not to win; however I did let that smile slip out a few minutes ago which can bring you bad luck. 500 metres from the finish and suddenly someone turned the wind off. Golly gosh I thought (possibly not the exact thoughts), it couldn’t happen to us could it??? The boat sat down with crew scampering to the leeward side. We putted along for a few minutes with Shogun getting larger every second. But without notice it returned and we crossed the line; HOOOOT what a lovely sound it was to hear. 3 hours 35 minutes and 57 seconds we did it!Hugs and kisses all-round (Please note kissing with Libby only) and we all had a can to celebrate while we watched the first few boats finish. We dropped the sails and motored over to the moorings where lunch and a swim were enjoyed.

Some will say we were lucky as the weather suited Bare Essentials and yes maybe there right, but Bare Essentials didn’t sail herself and at times we did push her to the limits. It was a great sail and it was great to sail with a fantastic team and share a memorable moment. Congratulations to Rob, Cruisey and Libby, take a bow and enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  9. trimaraner

trimaraner Junior Member

Corley, Tim and Rob, Thanks for the details. Allready had a verbal account from Geoff but
    great to get the blow by blow story. Take 3 bows you all! One for each hull.

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I wasn't racing this time work was too full on this year. I hope I'll be onboard next year.

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I am surprised that this is big news. I remember being passed by two Tri's over 16 years ago in that race. I would be staggered if there hadn't been a mutihull line winner since then in the event, especially as it s run in pretty flat embayed waters. I can't find any archive race entries to check though.

That year we won in a 38' Cole, as the race was a handicap event due to the big variety of boats competing.

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I think what it boils down to is dont release press statements that say a monohull won line honours when they didnt specify monohull line honours. At one stage multi's were first over the line in 6 out of 10 years of the passage race. I'm interested in fairness if a mono is first over the line acknowledge it if a multi is first over the line acknowledge it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.