Banque Populaire V-Jules Verne Record Attempt- 11/21/11

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Nov 21, 2011.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Very exciting. I've got my fingers crossed for them . Those chunks of rogue sea ice can be ugly. :eek:

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

New video on Banque Populaire V they are heading to the South of Tasmania chasing the best routing for wind. Video of Loick discussing their current position, has some video of the conditions they are currently sailing in quite rough by the look of it but the boat and crew are handling it well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zekpj0oEtBI&feature=related

Translation by "Laurent" on the SA ocean racing forums

A new small video and audio are posted as "flags" on the map, I did not find them anywhere else on the official web site; so you can see the video only in a small window... It was very slow loading for me on my computer, all chopped off. So I had to let it load that way completely, then close that window and click again on the flag to then get a cached version, much smoother...

This is taken by night with a flash light inside the boat, just after they crossed Cape Leeuwin. Loick is congratulating the crew, and then explains what is coming up. The video ends with a long part on sailing in big waves...

"
    Congratulations guys!! Bravo!!
    (everybody rumbling, laughing...)C'mon, bravo guys!
    Do you see the map?...

We just passed Cape Leeuwin, in 17 days, 23 hours and 57 minutes, that's not bad... (yeah right!!... not bad...)

But it is not over! We are going to turn south, we have planned pass near the Macquarie Island, that I like a lot. Then we are going to avoid an ice zone around here (he is pointing somewhere in South Pacific). And then next, all the way there! Cape Horn...
    "

Someone intervene.

"
    We have to see it Juan, we have to see the Cape Horn...
    "
    Juan replies,
    "
    We will see it, we will see it... We did not see Cape of Good Hope; we did not see Needles Cape (?... Not sure of the translation, Cap des Aiguilles in French, I believe he refers to the Southern most cape of Africa), we did not see Cape Leeuwin...
    "
    Juan seems to show some "tongue in cheek" frustration for not seeing the key milestones... and the other guys are teasing him on this...

To which Loick replies:

"
    We saw the Kergelen, come on!...
    "

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bp V Jv

Thanks, Corley-that was good.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bp V Jv

From Scuttlebutt tonight:

* (December 11, 2011; Day 19 - 23:00:00 UTC) - Loick Peyron (FRA) and his
    team on the 131-foot maxi trimaran Banque Populaire V have built a 3034.1
    nm advantage over the non-stop circumnavigation Jules Verne Trophy record
    of 48 days 7 hours 44 minutes 52 seconds set by Franck Cammas on the
    103-foot Groupama 3 in 2010. They now have 12389 nm to the finish. --
    http://tinyurl.com/BP-121111

5. bertho

bertho bertho

doug,
    I read 2034 nm advance on the tracker..only. :) !.. (franck cammas was doing pretty well at the same location.. )
    cheer's
    bertho

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

New video on Banque Populaire V's channel. They are routing even further south. Nice video of the maxi tri surfing southern ocean swells.

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoileBanquePop?ob=5#p/u/0/U7z8M-9tDMw

Translation by "Laurent" on SA Forums.

At first, you have Loick explaining where they are going, talking to Kevin Escoffier (I believe)... with French subtitle!! because of the noise inside...

Loick first, looking at the screen and talking to Juan.
    "
    That's not too bad...

We are going to go further South, because we have not seen enough of the South... We are going to go all the way to 56° South.

Kevin:
    This is more or less the latitude of the Cape Horn?...

Loick:
    Right, 56° 30' South, that's the Cape Horn latitude.
    It's not bad, because there is no ice... in theory... And we are going to cut short the track, so the less we sail, the less we have to go fast, the better it is...

Kevin:
    The virtuous circle...

Loick:
    That's it.
    "

Then there is some video from the outside, with the comments from Kevin.
    "
    From the outside, here is how it looks like... Still a very strong swell... the wind slowed down a bit so we change the sails to. WOW!! This one is really nice... (1:56 on the video). So we changed to String and 2 reefs.
    And we are doing our loooong tack towards the South to get to 58 South, as we said (yes I know, Loick said 56, but Kevin is saying 58).
    With this very long swell... we come in these areas to live those swells. Here, we get what we came for!!! It's magnificent... and sunny. Long surfs at 35-38 knots. The swell got longer, so we can accelerate. For the past 24 hours, we had to be very prudent, because the seas were short, we slowed down the boat. But now it is getting longer; look at this one, it is really huge... (2:42 on the video)

I don't know if it looks good on video, but I can tell you, this is magnificent!
    "

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

What a Fargo trucking boat this is, incroyable.

8. yipster

yipster designer

Yes, not so long ago it stood around 70 days, now at 48 day's
    Bp, if all goes well, is gonna break that record again, great boat!

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bp V Jv

Sure setting up a mountain for a full flying foiler like the new Hydroptere Maxi to climb! Its interesting to realize that the use of "foil assist" on this boat is one of the keys to her success-its going to be tough to beat.
    Go BP V!

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bp V Jv

=====================
    You were 100% right. Here is Scuttlebutts correction:

* CORRECTION: We had a couple of hiccups in Scuttlebutt 3487. First, we failed to mention that the Jaguar Cup is a four event series for the
    ETCHELLS class. Then we said that the 131-foot maxi trimaran Banque Populaire V had built a 3034.1 nm advance over the Jules Verne Trophy record, which was a thousand miles more than their pace was at the time.
    Sorry!

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bp V Jv

Scuttlebutt tonight:

* (December 12, 2011; Day 20 - 23:00:00 UTC) - Loick Peyron (FRA) and his
    team on the 131-foot maxi trimaran Banque Populaire V have built a 2087.2
    nm advantage over the non-stop circumnavigation Jules Verne Trophy record
    of 48 days 7 hours 44 minutes 52 seconds set by Franck Cammas on the
    103-foot Groupama 3 in 2010. They now have 11739 nm to the finish
    . --
    http://tinyurl.com/BP-121111

TRACKER: http://www.voile.banquepopulaire.fr/Maxi-Trimaran-Banque-Populaire-V/cartographie-c5191.html

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoileBanquePop?ob=5#p/u/0/EY8vSgAvaKM

Translation by "Laurent" on SA's Ocean Racing forums

New video with some beautiful pictures of albatrosses (I believe) and some thoughts from Fred Le Peutrec and Kevin Escoffier.

You can find it here:
    http://www.youtube.c...u/0/EY8vSgAvaKM

Fred Le Peutrec, who knows what he is talking about: winner of The Race, and holder of the Trophee Jules Verne with GP3.
    "
    Maxi Banque Populaire is the most thought through boat I had an opportunity to sail to beat this record; no doubt about that. It's a "well rounded" boat; very well prepared, usable in all kind of wind and sea conditions; we just saw in the past 2 days that we can maintain some pretty high average speeds, even with rough seas. All of that safely though, never close to "stability rupture" (well, I am glad they do not intend to sail always on the verge of capsize...). It is not about time to damage the boat, we still have 3 weeks to go! (that makes a 42 days round trip, right?... )

To me, this is the best boat for this, the boat has the Jules Verne in its legs... (French saying, especially in cycling: when you say that you have the race in your legs, you mean that you are in top shape, you have the strength to win the race)
    "

Kevin Escoffier
    "
    Pleasant evening on BP5. We are at the New Zealand latitude. Before we start the big leap of the Pacific Ocean to reach the next famous cape, the mythical Cape Horn. An evening of rest.
    We have the gennaker, stay sail and main with one reef, soon without a reef. The wind is going to slow down and head up; we are going to get to a point of sail that we have not done for quite some time; upwind. Starting tonight, to begin this Pacific Ocean crossing.
    "

13. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

They are still making good speed at 29 knots but lead has slipped from a high of 2100 to 1900 miles
    RR

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bp V Jv

From Scuttlebutt tonight:

* (December 16, 2011; Day 24 - 00:00:00 UTC) - Nearly half way between New Zealand and Cape Horn, Loick Peyron (FRA) and his team on the 131-foot maxi trimaran Banque Populaire V are back up to 24 hour runs of 700+ nm and have a 1920.5 nm margin over the non-stop circumnavigation Jules Verne Trophy record of 48 days 7 hours 44 minutes 52 seconds set by Franck Cammas on the 103-foot Groupama 3 in 2010. They now have 10029 nm to the finish. --http://tinyurl.com/BP-121111

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

New video up. Shows the software that they use to track the ice and also some of the icebergs that are coming into view. Looks like conditions have eased maybe a bit too much the tracker was showing them at 3 knots last time I looked. More wind on the way though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_oKu-pZ8fc&feature=youtu.be

translation by Laurent on SA Ocean Racing Forums

So on the video above, this is Kevin Escoffier talking first. I put the timing at the beginning of each section of the video so you can follow.

"
    1:17
    Days follow each other but do not look alike on board BP5... Yesterday, it was a big storm, with big waves, a wet ride on reaching with 3 reefs and ORC jib, and this morning, it is 1 reef, with solent and we are going to shake the last reef, sunny, a bit cold but sunny. And we are going towards the famous iceberg, christened with the little name of B15G.

1:54
    For sure, everybody is on deck when it's all about icebergs... I don't know if you can see them... Do you see this one which is HUGE?...
    "

Then Loick Peyron explains what he is looking at on the screen.

"
    2:16
    All those small points, are all the icebergs. You can see Antartica, right here (he is pointing to the red big spot at the bottom of the screen). We are about here, passing by the famous B15 (he is pointing to a spot on the screen where he zooms in).

2:30
    This is the motion of the B15 for the past week; it's moving (he points to the 3 red outlines of the huge iceberg on the screen), and all this, it's its children, its babies (he is showing the rest of the screen, covered with dots...)... There is a huge zone that we have to avoid.

2:37
    We are going to go there, we may pass inside an area where there are 2 or 3 of them, maybe... which are here (he zooms in even more), the small red dots right there. Then there is another detection technology called "altimetry" (altitude measurement), it's less accurate (he is pointing to green dots on the screen), but it defines zones with icebergs as well, and we should pass in between, but still take the least amount of risk... it's not going to be easy... (isn't it what you call an oxymoron? sailing between icebergs but still playing it safe?...How in hell do you do that?...)
    "

Then we go back on deck.

Someone says:
    "A beautiful ice cube, Kevin, on the lee side" to help him spot them and film them.

Kevin again:
    "
    3:00
    It's not easy to videotape. This one is really..... it's heavy duty stuff... We passed right beside a growler, as well. You can see all the small growlers, right there, I don't know if you can see them, top, top, top... they are everywhere... they are on the wind direction axis, on the lee side of the big one.

3:21
    And behind, it's the iceberg we have been talking about, over and over again, that's the one that is the size of Belle-Ile.... (A beautiful Island - the name in French means "beautiful island"... that is 17 km long for 9 km wide. More details here: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_ile )All the way back, with the small dark spots.

3:34
    And this one, it's one that broke away from it, that is just as big...

Here we go... we leave all of that in our wake...
    "

Sorry if there is a little bit of delay between the posts and my translations, but you know that I have a day job, right?...

Loick is really impressive; he is calmly explaining to you that they are going to sail in the middle of a minefield, and nothing in his voice would make you believe that he is worried; the guy stays as cool as a cucumber...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.