help needed on design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Trevornew, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Trevornew

Trevornew Junior Member

So bassically i wanted to put a junk rig on the (link listed below) But i was advised against it. So now i'm wondering what would be a good design for a beginner i want a junk rig but is that best for me to go trying to get something designed around one? or should i just stick with the traditional sail? and the boat listed below? I'm primarily gonna be sailing in lakes and the puget sound only.

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/sailboat/amigo.html

thank you
    Trevor

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

An Amigo can have a junk rig, but you will need a designer to modify the plans for the mast steps and other "hard points", plus locate the rig over the CLP, so the boat behaves itself underway. You could possibly do this your self, but you should have a good idea about leads, how aspect area and hull shape affect it and a general idea where you want the CE to fall. I know some people like the junk rig, but I wouldn't own one on a yacht.

3. yacht371

yacht371 Yacht Designer

I once went out to take photos of a friends recently launched 40' junk rigged boat. I took my 34' fractional sloop out, single handed. I sailed under main only. The wind was about 14 knots. In that condition, steering with my knees on the tiller and using both hands on an SLR camera, I was able to easily sail circles around the junk rigged boat.

To day, that boat has a cutter rig, and sails quite well.

Junk rig boats are SLOW and although easy to handle, a conventional rig of similar performance would be very small and easy to handle as well. There is not much fun in sailing a really slow boat.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Junk rigged boats don't have to be slow, but they do have a lot of performance limitations when compared to modern, high aspect rigs. I also don't think they are the easiest rig to live with, particularly as a cruiser. A free standing Bermudian (cat, cat ketch, cat schooner, etc.) with a sprit boom seems the easiest to handle and live with, without the disadvantages of all the windage and weight aloft of the junk rig. Of course all rigs have good and bad points to consider. A well thought out junk rig can perform fairly well, given an accommodating hull form and matched appendages.

5. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

But Trevor, the Amigo looks gorgeous with the gaff rig, why go for the junk rig?

6. Trevornew

Trevornew Junior Member

recently changed my mind on that theory........ and i agree with you. Someday down the road i'll build a chinese junk ship because i love the craftsman style of them. but for now the amigo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.