Bankrupt boat yard in Thailand

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I was given the (professional ) plans of a 10meter power cat for sale at a fibre glass boat yard in Rayong. The yard is apparantly bankrupt and is selling off cheap furniture and many things moulded in Fibre glass.
    A power cat hull is available for 11,000 dollars 10 meters and looks very nice -perhaps a little bit like a Schioning. It has fly bridge and is designed to have 2 Yanmar 6LP according to the plans.

The engines are far aft and it may have tunnels for the props. I would not have thought 11,000 dollars would pay for the materials.
    I think I might take a look.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Downsizing? or getting a tender for those day-trips?

3. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Just make sure this cat does not belong to someone else :)

I know one guy who bought 70' 'almost finished' motoryacht for very cheap from bankrupt yard, but now he will probably share it with other 2 owners who were found to own it also :D

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats a very good point. I am not really needing another boat, but being a farang prices for lifting and transport will be expensive and finding somewhere to complete it will also be expensive because I am a rich foriegner (farang)and have more money than sense.

I could see how much to park it at the Admaral marina but I think it will not be cheap. Boats coming into Thailand are VAT free but not the bits to build them with.

I would need to get some engines in it and get it down to Singapore, Ive done this once and its not something I want to do again.

11,000 dollars is cheap and almost worth the money without seeing it.--if I wanted one.

5. FMS

FMS Senior Member

What worries me with bankruptcy and foreclosure sales and equipment auctions is how long were they going bankrupt and taking shortcuts on quality beforehand?

6. Poida

Poida Senior Member

FMS - Doesn't worry me. Even as a 23 year old and still wet behind the ears, so to speak, I still realised the importance of progresive payments.

I had a pool installed. So much after the hole was dug, so much after the pool was lowered into the ground and so much after the pump and accessories were installed.

They could go bankrupt at any time, I couldn't give a fig.

Now I have learned that bankruptcy is a part of business and how to avoid the impact.

7. mietchan

mietchan New Member

i am looking for this kind of cat on finish you have contact, please send to mietchan@hotmail.com Thank you

8. mietchan

mietchan New Member

I'm looking for a catamaran builder in thailand

Any suggestions for boat builder in Pattaya region?

9. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

Well maybe they did'nt and that is why they went bankrupt.

10. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

try Anda man boat yard Italian owned, most model CE approved and very professional.

11. Alik

Alik Senior Member

We design most of cats built in Thailand, and know all builders :)

12. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Big statement for sure - - "Alik" - - "We design most of cats built in Thailand bla bla bla"

Do you now - then how come you didn't know about this cat comming on the market??

If you are in such a great position to "know all builders" who come you don't know all about this possible bankruptcy?? If so =- why haven't you informed all of us???

If you know so much about the Thailand industry - why don't you give us all some real practicle answers??

Do I smell a Thai-mouse here?? What is your reason for posting such a comment?? Ciao, james

13. Alik

Alik Senior Member

The reason is that we design most of cats launched here; and it might be useful to know for someone looking for advice on choice of builder/designer. I do not want to argue with anonymous posters from nowhere; if one comes to our office or nearest marina I can show what we have done so far. Pls note that with team of 12 we are biggest small craft/boat design office in Thailand and probably in SEA-Pacific area. With 13 new designs launched (not including production boats) only in 2011, 70% of those are cats.

So it is likely to be Thai elephant, not just a mouse as some ostrich might think :D

14. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Just wondering if it might be this yard I wrote about a few years ago when I was making an inspection tour down there.??

Concordia Yachts (now renamed Celebrity Yachting). This is an operation that I had known of for a long time. Only even I was confused about its origin. Unknown to me there was another boatbuilder in Thailand named Concorde Yachts that was specifically formed to build several mega-sailingyachts of 138’, the first one for Joe Vittoria of Mirabella fame. I had long thought they were one in the same due to the similarity of their names and some ads in the boating publications I had seen, and the fact they were both working on a Dubois designed vessel.

So here is what I now pull up as their current website,
    http://www.celebrityyachting.com/about.html
    Only a few weeks ago I could pull up their older website ‘concordia, with photos of their facilities, and the molds of the big cat

Several years ago this company built a luxury 69’ catamaran designed by Bill Dixon and referred to as a Prout 69. There were to be both a power and a sailing model. Only one sailing model was built initially, and prior to delivery, the client experienced a health problem resulting in the vessel being put up for sale. The thai gentleman Khun above, was involved in the building of the molds for this cat and the building of the initial vessel. His report to me, ‘the molds are excellent, but the first boat was overweight, and interior was finished out in a substandard plywood.’ I had always wondered why they experienced some problems they did when they went to sell this vessel, as I had sought accurate info on the vessel to submit to some potential clients I had suggested this vessel to.

The facility these people have is fantastic. It is large enough to build 4-6 big cats at the same time, and it is right on the waters edge for launching. Currently there are two big cats (69’ expanded to 72’) under construction, as well as two 85’ Dubois monos, a 43’ cat, and some 36’ monos. One of the big cats is destined to be a power model, and has a totally new deckhouse design with a flying bridge. As I understand it this yard is now the owner of the ‘Prout’ catamaran name and rights.

I spoke with primarily two people there, the owners representative/manager who divides his time between Thailand and China, and the production manager John Oliver, an older New Zealander who has spent considerable years in Thailand. Briefly I also talked with Geoff, the mechanical systems manager who also sidelines his own operation mentioned above. I think the owner of the yard is a singular, very wealthy Chinese businessman from Hong Kong who rarely visits this operation. From my limited knowledge of Chinese business people, I am totally surprised that one would have invested such a large sum of money in the facility they have, and particularly to build boats, and particularly to build sailboats rather than powerboats. Added to this equation I could not get a definitive answer to my question as to whom the two big cats were being built for. I have a hard time believing they are both ‘spec boats’, but that’s how it appears at the moment.

I was left unsatisfied as to pricing, and even estimates of cost to build from their existing mold. I will try to speak with another representative of theirs at the coming Annapolis Boat Show in October

Their literature depicts a dedicated carbon mast building shop. Well, the shop is there, but there is no oven capability as of now. And there is not a great enthusiasm for carbon mast construction by the management due to electrical storm damage potential.

There was a dedicated lay-up team working on one of the 85’ monos , and supervised by a woman who had long experience from the 1980’s when the big 138’ sloops were built up in Pattaya. This ‘team’ seemed to be doing a very good job. I understand they actually are subcontracted as a team to do this work, and for some labor relations reasons as well.

Summary. This yard has great facilities, great potential, and an existing mold for a 70-72’ cat. I would question their capability to do complicated electrical and equipment installations, not so much from the design standpoint (Geoff is good), but from the shop floor crew. With a Chinese owner and what appears to be a lack of cost controls, there would have to be very definitive contact negotiations and agreements in place, before I would consider this yard. And there definitely would have to be oversight. It might be very possible to purchase just the deck and hull moldings from this shop.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No --its not that one. Thats in Jomtien ( Ocean Marina) next to the biggest hotel in the world the Ambassador about 4 K from my house. The one I was talking of is long gone and is in Rayong.

Its owned by the Father of the woman that sells beer on the beach near the car park, you know the old girl with black hair.