bamboo planks

Discussion in 'Materials' started by adriano, Aug 7, 2009.

1. adriano

adriano Senior Member

Par,
    I am little unclear when you mention bamboo veneer.
    Do you mean to be used approx 45°?
    as narrow planks of 3 or 6 mm.?
    Is it possible to get such thinkness (by machine) out of bamboo? I know veneer only the traditional way from big round logs.
    Thanks for yr further explanation
    Adriano

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Paul I do´nt like to contradict you, but please would you tell me a single one advantage a Bamboo veneer could have over a quality wooden veneer? Just one!

3. micheleoda

micheleoda izarra-yachts

Bamboo Products

Actually i live in France and i have a suplier to import and sliced, any size, any lenght , any thickness and larger.
    I have diferent suplier's in europe, china and thailand for veneer to 0.6mm to 5mm. About Bamboo, in 1979 we built a 85 ft chineese junk in Canton and bring back to France by The "good hope", so i use bamboo since because i work in Asia (Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, china, phillipines, japan, malaysia and indonesia. For bamboo, we need to know the tricks, now we can use, veneer and thin planks for laminate on traditional way.
    I dont beleive about strip plancking
    but i'm at 400% for lamination, and epoxy

see bamboo laminate bow, strong and nervous, i like boats like that...:rolleyes:

4. micheleoda

micheleoda izarra-yachts

www.abamboo.com
    about advantage 4mm thick: 7.2$ m2
    or 15mm large, 1mm thick, lenght 2m20: 40$ the 100 pieces
    i plan to use 3mm thick about advantage, it's a perfect Uni directional wood
    if we laminate 0/+45/-45, we something technical, modern, green, not to expensive and excelent for marketing

And about wood, i'm a marine carpenter, and i prefer to use bamboo than cut wood and give money for the F'''''''' Birman military or Cambodgian for their teck wood, if we buy bamboo, we give work to small villages do not have nothing for live except cut wood illegaly or keep protect animals for sell to stupid foreigner's

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yes do that!!! And call Peking a small village!!!
    Obviously you know what you´re talking.

6. micheleoda

micheleoda izarra-yachts

i dont know pekin but i work in shanguai, and i dont see so much of bamboo plantation around indeed.., and so on
    somebody need informations about bamboo and if i'm not too stupid,
    it is a forum;
    forum is made for friendly relationship.
    I'm new on site but you look like to be very polemic on diferent post;
    so, or you try to up the discussion or i dont reply you anymore
    if you need to be "agressive" for existing (feel alive) it's your problem
    but go alone,i dont want to loose time with complexed people
    i dont think that you give adriano have any interresting infos and your sens of humor is very limit: Mr AMPEX1

Best regards
    MC

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well, Mr. marine carpenter you should read a thread before contributing, and especially before contradicting in a offensive way! You would notice how and when I provided substantial information on adrianos questions.
    Impressive to see how you differentiate between Chinese and Burmese Dictators, really! But more impressive to see that a shipwright (I assume we should understand "marine carpenter" that way), has absolutely no idea which materials we use in cold moulded boatbuilding! And even more impressive that a shipwright does "not believe" in strip planking. But he feels fine using Bamboo "microfibres" (there is no such material on the market) and Epoxy.
    I tell you what:

you are neither a shipwright, nor have you ever worked with any of the material you mentioned!

8. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Where in France is Shanguai? I thought it was a Chinese orchestra.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Was that the "basement" branch of the "Pasadena roof orchestra" Terry?

10. micheleoda

micheleoda izarra-yachts

NO PROBLEM
    now we are on chinese orchestra,
    so, good luck to adriano on this forum, i hope that he find that he want
    for the rest, i've many job to do for my shipyard
    no time to talk music..
    MC

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Michel
    I guess he will not find what he wants! He wants a experts opinion to back up his own prejudice. He did not find that by now, and yours was´nt a experts one.

12. Invert

Invert Junior Member

I have a question. As teak is rather expensive, what is the possibility of decking with bamboo? From what I can gather, they sell bamboo flooring for about $5-7 sq.ft. which is generally cheaper than pine or oak. Suppose I just wanted it for its looks, meaning it provides no structural integrity. Would somebody recommend something like this? Or is teak still the way to go?

13. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

I haven't looked too closely at what is on the market currently, but I know the cheapest bamboo flooring is still a laminate with a wood fiber based bottom layer, which would be completely useless on a boat. One small pin prick in your sealant, and it would swell and split apart.

If you can find thin flooring that is solid bamboo for that price, then I don't see why it wouldn't be an option as a cover layer over plywood. The only thing I would worry about there is how to actually attach it securely.

14. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Invert,

On top of your initial cost of the flooring, add to it the cost of installation and factor in the fact that it won't last nearly as long, so you'll have to replace it sooner.

No matter what flooring you use, figure alongside the cost all of its benefits, how long it lasts, how appropriate it is for the purpose and how many times you'll need to replace something "cheaper" before you get the same life span.

15. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Par and Apex are right. As an old ex-naval carpenter (I began in 1970...) used to almost all the laminated woods systems, with any imaginable kind of glue and fibers common and exotic, I have now a little experience of the subject using wood in boats from 2 meters to 52 meters, from 4 knots to 55 knots.

And as I am also naval engineer, I can say that Par is totally right when he affirms that bamboo is too heavy as core. Plus the problem of the knots which are a solution of continuity when the bamboo is splitted.

I do love Bamboo, excellent material for building houses (look that in Colombia architects are doing with this material), furniture (split or not), pipes and other stuff. You can build excellent houses and light structures in bamboo and I have tried to promote its use and cultivation in Quintana Roo. The strong part is the the very outer shell, or best said the surface skin and structurally it works marvelously as a pipe.

It's a grass so it contains a lot of sugar. It must stay a long time in water to drain these sugars, dried slowly and treated because it rots so easily and catches a lot of bugs. The Japanese even smoke it. There is a very simple system to treat it with borates, but these salts are not good friends with glues...

I have also used the strips and floors made with bamboo, very nice in a house. In a dry house with no bugs. Or you have to buy bamboo heavily treated with some products I wouldn't have near me.

Simply, whatever its qualities, bamboo is not a material for boats.