Can someone help me identify this 1977, 7.7m sailboat in Europe?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by LittleOblio, Oct 3, 2023.

1. LittleOblio

LittleOblio New Member

Hello,

I am currently living in Latvia, and am interacting with a man selling a 1977, 7.7m-long "North" sailboat.
    He does not know what the original model is in any more specifics than that.
    (-It may or may not be "North", as stated.)

With this limited information, I've been unable to find anything about it online.

If any of you recognize the model of the boat from the pictures provided here, let me know!
    -Any new keywords I might try in searching for it online would also be greatly appreciated.

Ultimately I'm hoping I can find this boat on sailboat(dot)guide (or another site similar), and confirm where it lies on the "Capsize Screening" scale, etc..

-Thanks,
    -J

(PS: For high-definition pictures, you can view them here, at the original ad: SS.COM Ūdens transports - Buru jahtas, Cena 750 €. Ir masts, jauna bura, dzinējs. Un vēl roka. Pāris gadus visādas - Sludinājumi https://www.ss.com/msg/lv/transport/other/the-sailing-charter/sailing-yachts/gkicm.html#photo-1 )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum LO.

I sent a link to your post to a sailing chap on another Forum who lives in Latvia, to see if he might have any info on the boat, but alas he does not.

He said :
    "I saw this boat on SS.lv ... some time ago ... she's in Riga and as I understand basically a derelict.
    As to her origin ? I can ask - but TBH - she's priced based on her being a serious project to sort ....
    Boat prices in Latvia are usually Swedish + ~25% ... so to be this cheap in Latvia - indicates she's 'bad' !!"

He later came back with this :
    "To be honest ... as your enquirer is living in Latvia and also in touch with seller ... he's in better position than I to assess ... so far - I have asked people I know and no-one seems to have any info on this boat.
    Problem for many of these abandoned boats - when Latvia became independent in 91 ... various people departed abandoning all sorts of gear .. boats were left at back of old factories ... sites ... forgotten till later when site sold etc. - new owners finding them ....."

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
    BlueBell likes this.
  3. LittleOblio

LittleOblio New Member

Wow. -Thank you so much!
    That is the most helpful response I've gotten (across the different forums) by FAR! :)

And yes, already on Saturday I will have a meeting with the seller to assess the damage and just get a far better understanding of what I might be dealing with here...

Honestly, I like a good project, and I am looking for one! However, if for example there is severe water damage to the core of the hull around the base of the mast, or where the shrouds mount, or any other critical area, then I'll probably not buy it as that kind of damage is apparently very difficult and costly to repair properly.....

I wonder if it has been sitting there since '91?.. That would be hilarious, because it would have then been sitting there longer than I've been alive, haha. : P
    -I will ask! :rolleyes:

4. bajansailor

Do you know what material the hull is constructed with?
    It might be cold moulded wood, or it might be fibreglass.
    If it is single skin fibreglass, then there should not be too much wrong with the hull unless there are any areas of obvious delamination (try tapping it all over).
    If it is fibreglass with a core, then are is more potential for problems, especially if it is a wood (eg balsa) core - again tap it all over.
    If you can buy a cheap moisture meter (such as what house builders use for walls) somewhere you 'might' be able to use this to see if there is moisture in the hull, by comparing an area of fibreglass that is known to be dry, with other areas.

If it is word core (either fibreglass or cold moulded), then your use of the word 'apparently' is enough to encourage you to stay clear of this boat unless the hull and deck are obviously in good condition.

Edit - My contact on the YBW Forum subsequently sent me this link for an Elan 33 that is for sale locally to him for 15k euros. He thinks that the seller would be willing to haggle as he now has it lifted out with a storage bill for the winter.

SS.LV Ūdens transports - Buru jahtas, Cena 15 000 €. Atrodas Ventspilī. Elan 33, Garums 10.35, Nepieciešams reģistrācija. - Sludinājumi https://www.ss.lv/msg/lv/transport/other/the-sailing-charter/sailing-yachts/gkcfh.html

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  5. LittleOblio

LittleOblio New Member

I don't, but I thought the lines along the hull might be of some indication... (-See first picture.)
    The second picture here seems to indicate double-fiberglass with a core.
    -Although, perhaps it only applies to this particular portion of the boat.(?)
    At any rate, with the holes open like that, I'm worried water has been leaking into the hull (and cabin) season after season... :oops:
    I will definitely consider getting one tomorrow, yeah.
    Haha, okay. I am a builder/woodworker by the way. -Just not a builder or restorer of boats, -not yet at least!

Thanks for all your input thus far!
    I really appreciate it!

Attached Files:

6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

The information so far provided is plenty enough to make me walk away quickly!
    Keep shopping, Bajansailors link has shown that there are boats available in the area.
    The time and money required to restore that vessel is astronomical, not to mention skills that would need to be learned along the way.

bajansailor likes this.
  7. bajansailor

I hadn't noticed those 'lines' on the hull before - they appear to be chines, suggesting that she might have been built from plywood.
    If so, she would need a very thorough survey to determine the condition of the hull.

Re the photo of the closed companionway access, the holes in the aft side of the cabin might have been for a steering compass on each side.
    But we can see that the cabin is cored, and the holes were not sealed properly, so it is certain that there is water in the core here - and probably many other areas as well.

I agree with KapnD, that you need to walk away quickly (or run preferably, before you can change your mind) and keep shopping - at least go and look at that Elan and see what she is like.

8. the_pilot_cat

the_pilot_cat New Member

Finally a boat I recognise, a Maxi 77 from my native Sweden. They're durable little bathtubs, originally envisioned more as floating summer cabins than anything sporty. Very popular for modifications.

The whole boat is built roughly the same, and I really don't like the DIY compass openings this owner has put in, there was a factory option but it looks different. I know this is an old thread but posting mostly for posterity and for any future visitors.

As for common weak points, the deck both on top of the cabin and around it is prone to getting completely waterlogged, cracks around the chain plates, as well as cracked keel mounts.

Overall solid boats, but being extremely popular DIY and youth boats these days a lot of them have had less than great modifications made to them.

bajansailor likes this.
  9. bajansailor

Will Gilmore likes this.
  10. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

11. the_pilot_cat

the_pilot_cat New Member

You're bloody right, my apologies. I saw the fin keel, general hull and roof lines, and those quite distinct windows and was instantly fooled, didn't notice one major thing was quite obviously missing.

I wonder what on earth it is though, because the design nontheless looks like smth I've seen out and about here.

12. bajansailor

Yes, she is quite an enigma!
    I am wondering if maybe she is a multi-chine home built copy of a Maxi 77, and they changed the shape of the aft end a bit to have an inboard rudder, rather than a transom hung rudder?

@LittleOblio if you are still looking in occasionally here, can you give us an update about this mystery boat please?
    And did you buy her with a very low offer?

13. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

This Alpha 25 looks a lot like your boat.
    https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/alpha-25/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Designed by Roberto Róvere.

There are some small differences in the way the cockpit looks to be arranged, and sailboatdata says the first Alpha 25 was built in 1978.

-Will

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.