cheoy lee 43 MS

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by cfr, Jun 9, 2009.

1. cfr

cfr Junior Member

Hi all, i am planning to buy a liveabord this year with a max budget of 120-150 kusd in europe. I am a sailor but i like the room and protection of a wheel house. First i checked with some powerboats but with the idea to cross the atlantic, the fuel prices etc i am concentrating now on motorsailor like Nauticat33-38 and Fisher 37 and Cheoy lee 43. Unfortunatly i can not find many owners so i hope here are some sailor with experience in such boats.

At the moment i like the CL 43 best because of volume and fuel capapcity of 2000 liter with a Ford Lehman 120 PS ( this is too big to my idea). I waiting for more details from the broker to see how much renovation is necessary. The last owner removed the mizzen and installed a new mast and rigging. From the sail area, maybe 75 sqm without the mizzen, it is on the lower side of sailing performance but maybe with big spinnacker or code zero it shoudl work.

Nauticat you can find a lot in Germayn BUT windows are too big and they are not safe for open sea because not watertight compartments inside

Fisher 37 looks ok but cramped cockpit and normally only 400 liter fuel.

Carsten Hamburg Germany

2. TealTiger

TealTiger Junior Member

Not sure what you're asking but...

You may not know (as many don't) that the CL43 came in two slightly different versions. The first is by Perry. The second, here & here, by Seaton-Neville (or Beeldsnijder) had a flybridge. Although the site mistakenly attributes them both to Perry you can see the different brochures here. Personally I like the latter but they seem rare.

I think the CL LRMS 43's are a bit pricey, so here are some alternates:
    Hans Christian's 44 Pilothouse here & here. There's also a 39. I think it;'s the best looking.
    Oceanic 43 Pilothouse here. There's also a 38 & 46 (aka Seastar 46 or Mao Ta 46).
    Spindrift 43 Pilothouse here & here. I think its also known as the Young Sun 43. It seems to be a good valve.

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  4. hugonora

hugonora New Member

I own a cheoy lee 43 ms ketch since 1994,sailed it across the atlantic to Kiel germany in 1995 and bruoght to the eastern med in 2004 to turkey where I currently sail it out of Kusadasi.The boat is a seaworthy and comfortable long range cruiser.....not fast....but comfortable for onboard living.We use her 6month a year in warm climates in Turkey / Greece and are very happy with the boat.She is fully equipped with electronics,6kw generator, Air condition etcand I am prepared to provide additional infos.....perhaps we want to sell her in a year or two as we are getting older.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I dont know the boats, but I have always admired the Fisher 37..... I see them all over the world . They re beautifully proportioned , ship like vessels. I suspect that they are superior vessels because every one Ive even seen has been cherished and kept in true yacht condition by her owners . Have a close look at the 37 to see if it fits your needs.

I believe this is a 37 entering Zadar harbour

Attached Files:

6. Leonardo

Leonardo Junior Member

What about the Nauticat 33.1

I think is better than the fisher.
    Ciao

7. Finnsailer35

Finnsailer35 New Member

8. hugonora

hugonora New Member

cheoylee43 motorsailor

as I said before, I own a cheoylee43 MS designed by Bob Perry and am very
    happy with her,she is perfect for long term living on board and the 120 hp
    engine uses 5-6 liters diesel / hour at 7 knots speed.It is a very reliable engine.We have decided to sell our yacht due to our age and I am happy to send you a detailed description by mail,or you can look up the web site
    www.cheoylee43altlandia2.com or telephone me at 0049 4162 912121,or
    send an email acpeters@t-online.de
    kind regards

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

>Nauticat you can find a lot in Germayn BUT windows are too big and they are not safe for open sea because not watertight compartments inside<

Not many smaller yachts have compartment subdivision to water tight , most do not even have a collision bulkhead.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.