Diviny matching balsa

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rturbett, Oct 14, 2008.

1. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

As I have posted, I love the properties of balsa.
    Can anyone tell me how much glass I would need to make 1/4" diviny match the strength of 1/4" balsa core with 10 oz. glass on each side?
    Any idea how the weights would compare? (standard grade balsa)

Thanks,
    Rob

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I would think that they'd be very close. Maybe a slight lead to the balsa. IIRC and the experts will correct me, a very high percentage of the strength of a composite panel comes from the glass/resin part of the panel, not the coring. The coring is there to keep the two opposing skins of the panel apart. Some benefit to increased shear/compression properties of the materials can add to the overall effectiveness of the panel but probably not enough to matter overall. Strength is a very ambiguous term to use when trying to describe/determine the physical properties of a composite panel. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.