Balsa and Corecell,what is the difference?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by coolgps, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Will look for them. At least here is the newsflash which mentions the product.

Attached Files:

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Thank you !!!! made interesting reading !!:D

3. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

Just so i understand this--the balsa actually impregnates the entire piece? like the wood is porous??...that would be something--like a piece of wooden dense cloth!
    Ken hankinson talks about balsa core in his book.." the balsa sandwich shows lower shock absorbing qualities than using, for example, airex..."

doesnt have the impact resistance of other cores but higher compressive strength...but he states the bond is stronger than any competitive cores(at the time the book was printed core cell was not incuded) he talks about resin but doesnt state if its epoxy or poly...he also states--it penetrates into balsa 1/16th of an inch into the cell structure- he says it takes more resin because of this...great reading in Hankinsons "Fiberglass boatbuilding for Amateurs" pages 238-239

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

wood by its very structure will soak almost anything on the end grain !! the more liquid the faster and further it will penetrate !!
    No dont even think about thinning resin because will cause more problems than you can shake a stick at!!!.
    The shock of something hitting goes straight through to the other side yes because its end grain !!! foams dont have a grain so the are softer and absorb shock within the core its self .
    Both have advantages quite differant from each other . But for robust and hard working panels such as in commercial use ,balsa would win hands down !!.
    Core cell is the new and exciting foam core and the greatest thing since sliced bread !! its the next best thing to Balsa . BUT Time will tell how good it really is .i have said this a lot on these posts !.Understand the materials you have to work with so you can get the best from them .if you dont under stand what you are using you are walking in a mine field draging a long chain .:eek:

5. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

KA-BOOM!!!!---OOPS...:eek:
    im using steel--but i did consider balsa--only because i thought it would not take up with poly-..hmmmmm

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Found another PDF which at least shows the impregnation of T92 foam. Still looking for the same in balsa.

Attached Files:

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

dosent mater what you using we made panels for the bulkheads and furnature with thin ply each side and balsa or foam or even polystyrene between .
    its light ,its strong and looks great . just need to plan out the edgings and moulding all round to suit the application so can screw hinges and hang tracks and moung locks etc etc
    The more you know the longer the conversation when you are chatting !!:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.