Designer: J. Murray Watt?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Trecksail, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Trecksail

Trecksail New Member

Is anyone familiar with "J. Murray Watt" sailboat design? Would appreciate any info.

Thank you,
    Joe

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Its J. Murray Watts.

Mystic Seaport holds some of his drawings, contact the Ships Plans Division for a list. Also in recent years (mid 80's) Charles Wittholz of Silver Springs, Maryland, sold a number of steel designs by Watts.

Good luck, Tad

3. Trecksail

Trecksail New Member

Thank you.

Is anyone familiar with his designs? Any opinions on the steel boat plans sold most recently? Would the fact that Charles Wittholz sold the plans imply that they had to be good?

Appreciate any info,
    Joe

4. svdragonseeker

svdragonseeker New Member

I am now the owner of one of his boats. It is currently a staysail schooner of the Marblehead type. I am looking for any information about it. It was in new york for a long time. I bought it from a woman who raised her family on it. I would like to redo the yards and jib-boom. I would appreciade any info along this line.
    Capt. Bill

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

All Watts drawings that exist are at Mystic. Many were lost in a fire but supposedly Mystic has some 250 "plans", don't know if that's drawings or designs.

Also Rudder Magazine published some 260 designs by Watts, including 40 schooners of various sizes from 38' to 235'. Reprints are available from Mystic and the index is here.....

http://library.mysticseaport.org/initiative/rudderDesigner.cfm?mlet=W

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.