Balcotan or epoxy?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by DanishBagger, Feb 12, 2006.

1. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Well, after getting tons of help in "my other" thread, and altering my plans "slightly", I have decided to built my dream boat (a dinghy, lol) from mahogany strip planks. Bead and cove.

The idea is to have it varnished with epoxy + UV-res. varnish.

But, what glue would be best, I'm thinking Balcotan because of the long opening time and that it foams a little.

Have anyone of you used Balcotan for this, and if so, how does it do in comparison to epoxy?

2. casavecchia

casavecchia Senior Member

Use epoxy. Has better gap filling properties and can be colored to match the surrounding wood .
    Marco.

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I agree with Marco when you want a varnished finish.
    You can make an arrangement to hold 5 to 10 strips together with the hollow edge upwards (I never know what is bead and what is cove!). Then you can apply epoxy on all these strakes and fasten them before it cures. It's a bit messy but very fast. Remember gloves :)

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Very cool, thanks guys :)

5-10 strips, it certainly will be fast!

(I guess, with you two answering my questions, I might as well have asked these questions in my original thread, ha ha!)

Thanks a bunch, you two, I know feel quite well dressed, now I just need to find a place to build, and get my lumber. I really hope mahogany will be affordable here.

Thanks,

Andre

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.